Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Variable Range Limits
- - By mwilliams93 (*) Date 10-05-2017 19:59
Hey All,
           Quick question here...so I've been cleaning up old prequalified WPS here at my place of employment. I'm slowly bringing myself back up to speed on the whole "Inspection" aspect of welding (I've been on the floor for a while). I was curious on how to determine the welding variable range limits for prequalified WPS's. I understand that Table 3.1 (AWS D1.6) has the percentages, etc. Are they to be used with the recommended range that the manufacture gives you for wire?
                             Thanks for the help!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-06-2017 12:46
The ranges listed by the manufacture are typically greater than those permitted by AWS. The person writing the prequalified WPS is tasked with determining the "best" parameters for their situation, then limit the range per the code requirements.

Consider if you will, one project involves all shop welding were the positions are limited to flat grooves and flat and horizontal positions. The arc voltage, wire feed speeds, etc. may trend toward the high end of the ranges recommended by the electrode manufacturer. In contrast, another contractor is welding in all positions, they may opt to use the midrange for the parameters, or if the material is on the thinner side, may opt to use the lower end of the recommended ranges.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Variable Range Limits