Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Rule of Thumb; Weld Shrinkage
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-13-2003 15:32
I know this is a pretty open-ended question (and it may sound stupid)but, having said that, I seem to recall reading some general "rules" of thumb regarding anticipated weld shrinkage for various materials and joint configurations.

I don't need responses saying it depends on joint configuration, restraint, materials, process, etc., of course it does and I think we all understand that.

Just looking for something easy!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-14-2003 16:24
RULE 1: never weld your thumb 'cause it might shrink.

Sorry, I'm overtaken by impulses sometimes. Actually I was thinking you might want to get a copy of the Lincoln - "Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding". There is a section on weld distortion and some math formulas that I have found to come very close to actual results. Other than the above, I don't have any rules of thumb that amount to anything. I usually take a good guess on the first weld and try to compensate from there.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By S.K.JOSHI Date 06-10-2003 07:27
Dear Guilford
For weld shrinkage you have given 2 good directions
1) Trial weld & compension as per results
2) Lincoln welding procedure handbook.

Can I get the contact address to get 2) above?
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 06-10-2003 10:52
Call the Lincoln Electic Welding School @ 216-383-2259. They are the ones that sell the all of the educational books.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-10-2003 13:23
The number I use is 1-216-383-2211. (Sounds like an extention in the same building)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-10-2003 14:03
I see this question has been asked on a few posts now. Also do a search on this BBS for distortion and you should come up with a few other posts about this topic.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Rule of Thumb; Weld Shrinkage