Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can you PWHT with oxygen/ced?
- - By 2006strat (***) Date 10-31-2017 12:37
Was wondering if you can PWHT using oxy/ced?  It's all I have to remove the moisture.  I was told along time ago.  Maybe just because of cost.  I rather do a damn good job.  Wondering if there is something in the code book about.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 10-31-2017 15:46
ced???????????
lost me
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 11-01-2017 16:53
I do apologize for my grmar.  It's like texting, lol, ha, lmao.  I didn't read into it, usually I am dumbing things down for those who misunderstand easily.  On the other hand, if you(not you specifically) have been in this business (welding pipe), you should be able to read the question.  I do apologize for my grammar.  That is all on me.  I figured something out, I finished my weld, thank you for all that has replied!  No intentions Kent, I was trying to keep a good rep, and was typing/thinking/reading/ talking to GF at 6:45am.  Thank you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-31-2017 15:55
I think we have several points of misunderstanding, including "ced".  Are you meaning acetylene? 

Now, PWHT = Post Weld Heat Treat is performed AFTER the welding process is complete.

Many don't realize all the available processes that are included in PWHT; annealing, normalizing, tempering, heat treating for hardness, stress relieving, etc. 

BUT, when you mention it is all you have to REMOVE moisture, that sounds more like PRE-HEAT and is done PRIOR to welding. 

Now, to your question as close as I can currently understand it, Oxy/fuel (acet, propylene, MAPP, propane, natural gas, etc) can be used for both pre-heat and some forms of PWHT.  It all depends upon what you are trying to accomplish.

It would really help if we had a bit more information: Welding Process?  Material Grade?  Material Thickness?  Fuel type on oxy torch?  Rosebud or regular torch head?  Applicable Code/type of work (structural, pipe, equipment, etc)? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-01-2017 05:14
Any fuel /oxygen or fuel / air torch will produce the temperature needed to drive the moisture out of the steel. SIC
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 11-01-2017 16:45
I greatly do apologize for my literature, as I am always in a hurry and 99% of my time I am always finding myself trying to explain to someone that doesn't comprehend what I am telling them on a daily basis. 

I was finishing up 1 of the last two welds on a water pump station.  We made the fit late in the day and with no over time approved I do not work for free.  I flushed it out and setting up to cap the next day.  Know that here on the coast the humidity is high and it being around 60-65 in the morning, I needed to pre-heat. 

The next morning nobody had a answer for me or a propane heater for me to use.  Normally I do not carry one because of the safety I am normally around.  I was told awhile back that I could not use Oxygen/Acetylene to pre heat a weld.  I  could not remember why but that is all I had available to me and when I have a couple guys waiting on me I like to get busy.  That is what brought me to my question.  That you have answered.

The pipe is, 16" carbon steel sch 40, B31.3, Grade X42.  The line is opened ended from a pump that pumps water from a creek to a lake to supply the Company with fresh water.  I know it's just all water pipe and x42, but if I keep to good habits I will not ease myself to using short cuts.  Thank you for the reply.  Spot on as always sir!  Been following this forum when I started welding 14yrs ago.  No school like the old school!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2017 18:23
Got it.  Thanks for the added info even though at this point it isn't needed.

Glad we could be of any help to you.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can you PWHT with oxygen/ced?