Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW + SMAW
- - By aquadanny Date 11-01-2017 02:16 Edited 11-01-2017 03:04
HI All,

I would like to ask some question..

1) Why do we need to do 2 processes (GTAW + SMAW) instead of one process?
    - Based on what I know that normally used two instead of one is to save the total of welding time when dealing with big pipe bore.

2) I heard that 3" and below only need one process (GTAW), why? Is it depending on the Thickness or NPS? (Any ASME Sec. Recommended?)
:confused::confused:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-01-2017 05:16
You learn something new every day here in the forum.

Al
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 11-28-2017 03:28
You don't want to TIG out big bore pipe, it's too slow. But some places prefer TIG for the root pass.
- - By Elghazawani1971 Date 12-07-2017 09:34
Dear Sir,
We would like to bring to your kind information that we have two crude oil tanks at Harega oil export terminal in Tabrouk.  We received inspection report of tank bottom of these tanks and found the recommendation that all of tank annular plate need to be replaced.
We have replaced all of the annular plates first time during year 1990. This will be the maintenance exercise of second times. In this connection we would like to get your expert opinion whether any special treatment is required for the shell plates or replace complete the first ring of shell plates due to that the area of carbon steel of shell plates connected with annular plates will be welded of the third times (one during contraction and the second during the previous maintenance and the third one will be during the in progress maintenance) 
Your earliest reply will be highly appreciated.
Best regards.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-07-2017 12:33
Hi Elghazawani,
Welcome to the AWS Forum.

You should start your own post with this question.
I do not have experience in the oil storage field, but found a site that you could search on.

The Above Ground Storage Tank website.

http://www.ast-forum.com/ 
Search for annular repair.

Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW + SMAW