Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Time for a change
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-18-2017 07:38
There is still a few of you folks who know me on here, ones who have known me for a good bit of time.  It is those folks this little post relates to as I sit and tend my smoker thru the night for some of my epic brisket.

Well ignoring the doctors thru the late 90's and early 00's, I soldiered on.  Economy crapping out in 2010 I was forced to go back to flying my own flag rig welding.  Ok no problem.  No med insurance, making killer money, no problem.  Well the physical things I was warned about in my 30's have come home to stay.  I have a pretty much useless left arm, dodgy knee, corrupt ankles, and feet with a condition that requires constant therapy.   Impossible to tig, seriously hard to do stick pipe ( I am not that talented I need both hands to smaw pipe). So at 49 and use to making REAL money welding...I have to realign myself.  I am fortunate in the fact that I occasionally can land a weld boss job at a construction site. Cannot make that reliable tho. 

I look to reinvent myself with inspection and construction management opportunities.  Therefore I need to dig in and exercise my brain a little bit.  Do some study and get some cards.  I am physically at this point pretty much ****ED....but I am far from done.  This whole thing is kinda scary for me...I reckon that is why I am posting about it.  Trying to draw support from my friends and at the same time make myself deal with reality of "I have to make this change in my life".  Been fighting off the inevitable for a long time, giving in to the reality and committing to it is pretty heartbreaking for me personally.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2017 04:01
Sorry to hear your physical condition is forcing the change. I heard some similar comments from my doctor when I was around 35 years old. The doctor said, "Al, you're in great shape for a person that is 75!"

Never too late to try the CWI thing, but in today's economy it is good to have something to supplement the CWI credential. Nothing like a couple of Level IIs in NDT to make a prospective employer look at your application more than once. The problem is, education isn't exactly inexpensive in terms of time or money.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Al
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-20-2017 12:21
Hey Tommy,
I bet you would be a good supervisor of a weld crew.  You've been around the block a few times, hit up some former contacts that you worked for, see if they could use you.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-22-2017 16:59
Why not c'mon up to my place after the holidays?
I'll run ya thru a CWI 'Boot Camp'.
In your down time, you can earn your keep.
I gotta Ford 9N tractor rim that needs welded up.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-27-2017 13:28
Wouldn't touch it with a 10' electrode.  Call me chicken ****. :wink:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Time for a change