Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Purity of argon
- - By amrnasser Date 11-30-2017 10:06
i am working in gas company and i want to supply argon for welding that matches the requirement of AWS A5.32 . i read the standard and as i understand the purity of argon should be tested ( not impurities ) to be 99.997 % and the best analysis method to check the purity is GC with packed column and TCD as detector as per ASTM E260 .

what is the best practice ( column specs and external standard SPECS ) to perform this and what analyzer do you recommend ?
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 11-30-2017 17:22
You can't buy an "argon tester".  You have to test for specific impurities.
Parent - By amrnasser Date 12-02-2017 10:03
A5.32 said we have to check the purity and customer ask me to follow the standard . please advise i confused
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-02-2017 16:00
You can't just jump into that market and say you are doing it.  There is training and education that needs to take place. 

Contact YOUR supplier.  Are you filling tanks?  Or just selling gases for welding?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2017 18:20
He works for a supplier.

I would think that unless his employer has a air liquification plant, they would have to purchase the gas from someone. Whoever is liquifying the air and taking off the argon would be the party responsible for ensuring the "purity" of the gas and liquid supplied.

Al
Parent - By amrnasser Date 12-03-2017 05:06
actually i do not have ASU facility . i have only storage tank for argon , nitrogen and CO2 that purchased from another gas supplier  . now i am in stage of equipped my lab with analyzer that comply AWS standard .
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-03-2017 14:14
I was wondering what level of supplier he worked for.  Bulk gas to smaller distributors.  Local Welding Supply to public.  Etc. 

Language difference and other unknowns make it difficult, for me, to know for sure what they were trying to accomplish and if it was even a facet of the job that was their responsibility. 

Thanks Al. 

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Purity of argon