Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Rates
- - By reddoggoose (**) Date 12-01-2017 14:24
Question for independent CWI's out there.

Curious as to how you charge out your services for welder qualifications and PQR development? Do you charge out at an hourly rate? Do you charge per test plate? If you charge per test plate how do you charge if a welder busts his test and has to retest with 2 more plates, do you charge for all 3 plates? How do you cover your time if you allow for a practice test?

Would be interested to hear how guys typically handle these things. Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2017 18:45
Most of my jobs are per day. The customer provides everything.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-02-2017 16:08
Depends upon code, position(s), thickness, process, etc.  Does client have a WPS to weld from? 

Generally I charge a flat rate that includes two plates for D1.1 all position, a WPS to work from, cutting, bending, and paperwork.  They pay up front so I don't have to worry about getting paid if they bust out. 

I generally don't stop a test in the middle even if observation has determined that they are already failed.  Let them finish.  After they leave, do what is required.  Cut and bend only if progressive VT was OK and final VT is OK.
- - By reddoggoose (**) Date 12-04-2017 16:00
All good information. Thank you to those who have replied so far.  Not looking for anyone to disclose their rates. Just some ideas on how guys charge out. Anyone else willing to give some insight?
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-06-2017 09:20
If the customer provides everything, you may quote for minimum charge per visit (e.g. 400pesos)

first 4 hours : 400pesos
then hourly charge :  100pesos

If you quote per day and the job can be completed in 2hrs, your customer may say that your rate is expensive. Worst scenario is if you failed the welder, the customer may not allow you to leave early until you complete your timing. There are nasty customer that will ask you to stay at their workshop even though there is nothing much to be done, the customer is not wrong because you're paid per day for 8hrs.

If you want your quote to be more attractive, you may put your mileage claim as FOC but increase your min charge.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Rates