Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Your most interesting welding jobs.....
- - By veteric Date 05-15-2003 03:22
I am taking a welding course and want to know what you guys think the most interesting/best welding jobs to chase are. From jobs that require traveling to ones that are always throwing something new at you. Or anything else even if they require a little more than welding certification.
Parent - - By pipewelder9229 Date 05-17-2003 06:58
it all depens on what you want or find intersting personally i think nuke power is borin as hell while u make great money on their outages alot of my travling buudies prefere nukes b/c their easy granted u pass the weld test the best work ive gottn into so far is adding onto food processing plants their usally extremley clean always a plus ive work steel mills their nasty what are u goin to school for pipe or plate ??and where at
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-21-2003 15:27
Nuclear power a boring job? I've always thought it was the most exciting job in the world! Why do you find it boring?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-21-2003 16:20
Any job can be a good one or a bad one, it depends on your own mind set. To me, if I'm paid well, learned something new, kept all my fingers and toes, didn't have to argue with anyone, feel like I added something worthwhile, and went home talking to my family instead of my lunch box, then it's a good one.
Of course that can vary from day to day, but overall, a good job is what you make of it. If it isn't what you want, then you will either change your job, change your mind, or make the job what you want it to be. It won't be what I or anyone else tells you it should be. But don't be afraid to try new things; you'll never know what you are missing if you don't

Have fun,
CHGuilford
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 05-21-2003 21:27
I've always liked development work,trying new methods and troubleshooting welding problems! It tests my mind as well as my(lack of) skill!
Parent - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 05-23-2003 09:21
To me.....high pressure boiler work was interesting and challanging despite the usuually poor working conditions. It's hot as time is money and the client and contractor push you to get done as quickly as possible so as soon as the boiler is shut down you go in and start working. So it's hot and there is alot of particulate matter floating about which you are aware of as best as they can light an area for you....it's never enough but you see the crap floating about. Aside from that, boiler tube welding is pretty good work.
I am not talking about little cleaver brook package boilers I am speaking of huge boilers which are 10 to 15 stories high and the combustion chamber is 80 feet by 80 feet square. When welding "water walls" which is basically 2"-sch-80 pipe , you work with another welder and a boiler maker who fits up the "Dutchman" which is a section of pipe to replace a wornout section of tube. One of you is in the boiler and one is outside the boiler and you both have to work together to weld out these dutchhmans.
Mirror welding comes into play also as there are tubes(i.e.-pipes) which have to be replaces in the penthouse where there isn't enough room for anyone but the weldor. Once a section is tacked up....the boiler maker leaves and it's up to you to make the welds and usually it's chrome/moly and 100% x-ray examination. Pressure to boot, so you better be able to pull it off or you go down the road. I have not done this work for a long time, but it sure was good experience, for what it's worth. The Pay was extreme too as you work long hours but at a higher than normal rate. More later.
Parent - By DavidP66 (*) Date 05-23-2003 17:16
Yes, I do agree. It does depend on what one sees as interesting. To me its something that is a little strainge or a little out of the ordinary.

I have mentioned part of this before. But here is my most interesting job i have been on is..

I was on a welding job welding a crane crane to D1. specs. I was hired as a flux core structural welder.

After a week of cleaning and getting ready for the material....I started fitting the parts together and welding. (I didnt know i was hired as a fitter) ;) and they had me welding it all up with Short Circuit MIG. Never done it before. But the boss says it the same as flux core and that "i was certified for that if i was certified for flux core) Ya. right...

so anyway...after screwing up 1 out of every 5 welds and getting yelled at for two weeks. We finally swiched to flux core...Everything went well for two days. Then the boss tells us to weld the flux core down hill instead of up. Again. I was trained and certified to weld it all up hill..I told him that i was not certified to weld it that way...but to keep my job, i would do that for him anyway....after screwing up pretty much every downhill weld i made....i just went back on my own and welded them up hill instead of having to fix all my downhills...everything was going good...i was working as a welder....but also had my CWI...i still do both now....the boss knew i was a cwi and would tend to question everything i did...throwing it in my face every day..but...another day passed....i came to work...and then was fired...

so...building a crane.....no qualified welders to weld mig. or flux core downhill...no welding procedures for Short circuit mig, or fluxcore downhill...yep...this was the most interesting.

David
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Your most interesting welding jobs.....