Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / D1.5 PQR and WPS Qualification
- - By jorgep Date 12-04-2017 22:19 Edited 12-04-2017 23:54
I'm new at D1.5 requirements and i have to qualified a PQR and WPS for a brigde

I have a A913 Gr 50 steel beam (W44x335) to be welded into a S355J2+N Steel Plate (Similar to A572 Gr 50)
those materials are not listed in the table 5.1 and i can't get the requirements to work with the materials above

the questions is you can give me a step by step of how to qualified a PQR and WPS for D1.5

Process: SMAW using E7018
Joint: TC-U4a and B-U5a

Thanks in advance !!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-05-2017 02:43
There are consultants that do that for a living. That is the short answer.

As you already know S355J2+N isn't a listed material, so you will have to qualify the WPS by testing. D1.5 can be confusing if you are not familiar with how to qualify the WPS with notch toughness and heat input controls. Too involved to address in a short response.

You might consider attending the 3-day seminar being hosted by the Connecticut Section AWS titled The Atlas of Welding Procedure Specifications.

The seminar is a 3-day event walking the attendees through the process of writing and qualifying welding procedure specifications. Once the course is completed, the attendee will know how to write a prequalified WPS and how to qualify a WPS by testing if prequalification isn't possible. Contact: amoore999@comcast.net for more information if you are interested.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / D1.5 PQR and WPS Qualification