Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Backing bars D1.1
- - By WyomingStyle Date 12-12-2017 03:13
Hello everybody, and thank you in advance.

I have looked thru D1.1 (2006) a few times now and I am struggling to find the maximum allowable number of backing bars for a continuous CJP. We have a joint the engineer has designed to wrap a weld around three sides of a plate welding to the flanges on two sides and a cap plate in the middle with no Rat holes. How many pieces can the backing bar be made out of? Also what is the allowable gap if any between pieces?  I have seen some people use a single plate that covers the whole backing or CJP 3 pieces of 1” falt bar together, but what does the code say?

Thank you
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-12-2017 13:49
You can join together as many lengths of backing as needed to span the entire length and contour (geometry), but the joints connecting the individual lengths must be joined by CPJ groove welds and the backing must be continuous. The only exception I am aware of is for pipe that permits the use of a split ring.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-12-2017 16:07
If you don't CJP the splices in the backing bar the UT guy will mostlikely find them. As Al stated, you can make them as long as needed. I've seen really large sections of rectangular tubing made with continuous flat bar inside for the full length.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2017 18:40
First off, get yourself a newer edition of D1.1.  BUT, even in the 2006 it should be in Clause 5 at about 5.9 BACKING. 

In the 2015 edition you also have Clause 9 for Tubulars and in Clause 9.23 of Part E Fabrication there are guidelines as well. 

I am not sure I totally understand your part description.  Can you attach a photo or sketch? 

For the most part Al and John are correct but there are exceptions.  All depends on joint geometry, welding symbol, and approved drawings with details. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Backing bars D1.1