Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot rolled VS cold rolled steel
- - By amalgam (*) Date 05-15-2003 20:26
I have been reading about these processes in which steel pieces are made. However I have not found anything about welding on either one of them. Is there any difference when one welds on these two types of materials? Which one is better to work with? Which one is easier to work with? Which one is prettier at the final product stage?
Thank you so much everybody
Alfredo
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-15-2003 22:46
The point to look at is not which material is easier or better to weld, or which one looks better after welding.
The point is that those materials are indicated for different applications. In some cases the cold rolled is better and in others it's better the hot rolled.
Once the material has been chosed based on mechanical and/or process reasons, you must weld it no matter if it's easier or not.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By amalgam (*) Date 05-16-2003 04:53
Can you please be a little more specific. I am new in welding and my hobby is metal sculptures. That is why I would like to learn a little bit more about of these two alternatives. Can you give me some examples.
Thank you
Alfredo
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-16-2003 20:50
I was thinking of industrial and/or construction applications, not artistic. This being the case, I've got nothing to add to what welder-guy said right below.
Giovanni
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-17-2003 05:54
Cold rolled is shiny and smooth and the cold working will have hardened it some. Thus the discoloration from the welding heat is quite apparent and any further cold working is more difficult because of the hardness. On the other hand if you intend to polish the work it starts out smooth so you have less work to do.

Hot rolled surface is black oxide (the "black" in blacksmith) the surface has texture and the material is a little softer. Welding won't be as apparent, cold working is easier and hot working, if you go in that direction will leave a similar surface. Polishing of course is more difficult but selectively polishing small areas can leave a nice effect.

The difference in weldability for this purpose is insignificant.

You are the artist- get some of each- play around- develop your own style.

Machinists and fabricators will often let you pick over their scrap for nominal or no fee.

Bill
Parent - By artgirl (*) Date 05-21-2003 14:52
I build large sculpture full time and don't have great welding skills so I understand your predicament. The gauge of the metal is more important for most of what I build. I usually use cold rolled because it is easier to come by and 16 gauge is my preference. It can be easily shaped either hot or cold and is thick enough that I don't burn through it very often. I also love 1/4" and 3/8" round. Again, easy to bend.
You might check out the International Sculpture Center for great pictures of steel sculpture. They also have a web forum, but the AWS forum is much better for technical advice and you don't have to read through all that art angsting discussion. The AWS guys have forgotten more about welding than I will ever learn. Good luck!

Artgirl
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 05-16-2003 04:09
for mild, low alloy steel, cold or hot rolled, stick welding it w/ 7018 is usually a good choice. the only difference you might notice when working w/ hot or cold rolled steel is hot rolled steel is easier to bend. prettier is all in the hands of the craftsman. i mean, w/ the right tools you can polish anything so it looks like you didn't even weld it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot rolled VS cold rolled steel