Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PJP Box Tube Qualifications via plate test
- By tylerwasilewski Date 12-18-2017 23:16
Hello, I am having a hard time identifying if a performance qual on plate grants qualification for PJP TYK box tube welding. This is what I know...

Per Table 4.10: a Plate, Groove Weld test, taken in 3G+4G qualifies all position TYK PJP Box tube welding of groove angles greater than 30 degrees and fillets within the dihedral angle limits of 4.21 and 9.20 -If those tests are taken in 1" or over I have 2 side bends and a thickness range of 1/8" to unlimited. per table 4.11 and we are qualified all position... But what diameters then am I aloud?

Now here is where I get lost, there is no statement of diameter in the plate section of table 4.11. If I go to clause 9 i find no mention of PJP groove welding, beyond the commentary (C9.19) that states that a CJP TYK qualifies PJP TYK and that "Qualification on 5G and 2G pipe tests also qualifies for box sections (with applicability based on thickness, neglecting diameter), but not vice versa."

So, we are bidding some work requiring a whole bunch of PJP TYK 4" box tube x 3/16" wall thickness joints (light duty ground level trusses). There is a 3/16" flare bevel GROOVE weld on 2 sides of the box and 3/16 fillet on the other 2 sides. We currently test all our welders in 3G+4G 1" plate grooves. Do I need to re-qualify for this job? Or does the absence of diameter in clause 4 plate tests render it not applicable because CJP is not required?

Side note: I have no problem testing guys for CJP TYK connections when required, but it seems odd that i would need to prove an ability to weld CJP grooves in a way thicker test with different bevel prep then job actually requires...

Thanks,

Tyler
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PJP Box Tube Qualifications via plate test