Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question regarding B5.1
- - By RoadHand03 Date 12-27-2017 01:39
My company that i weld for wants to implement d1.2. They asked me about it and i purchased the code book. I happened to see a chart in aws b5.1 that shows an X under SCWI indicating they were the only one qualified to write a procedure. I also googled about it(dont know why), and basically was a discussion over the wording and some saying it didnt matter what the book said. So my obvious question....
With this being my first procedure, should i follow b5.1 and let a "qualified" SCWI write it? If the code ever came into question and paper work was reviewed and a cwi's name was on the procedure would it be void?
Thanx and happy holidays
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-27-2017 02:29
A couple of things here...... All of them good.

#1  Being an SCWI is not a requirement of AWS D1.2 for writing welding procedure specifications.   

What B5.1 is trying to communicate is this: (paraphrased)   In order to be an SCWI, one is expected to have the ability to generate a PQR.  Elements of this requirement are part of the exams.   A CWI or a non-certified person can also make a PQR.  It's just not an expectation.

Having said that:  Writing a PQR for AWS D1.2 can be difficult, so having a consultant or an experienced SCWI to help you get through the first one might be a very wise investment for you and your company.  Really learning how to do it right.   On the other hand, you may have all the experience required, having a full understanding of aluminum welding and the code you wish to implement.  But if you just bought the code book, having a mentor for the first shot sounds like a good investment.

So unless you have some specific contract/customer requirements that state specifically that an SCWI is to be used to make the Procedure Qualification, than you or anybody else (other than a CAWI) can do it.
Parent - - By RoadHand03 Date 12-27-2017 11:46
Thank you!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-27-2017 21:00
You might be interested in a 3-day seminar being hosted by the Connecticut Section AWS. The seminar is scheduled for early March 2018. The title of the course; The Atlas of Welding Procedure Specifications.

The course will cover prequalified WPSs, WPSs qualified by testing (PQR), and welder performance qualification.

You can get more details about the course by contacting:

amoore999@comcast.net

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Question regarding B5.1