Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Advice regarding certification classes.
- - By Zzims Date 12-27-2017 01:53
Zim here. A local company, Nilai Technical Training Centre ( NTTC) is offering level 1 and 2 course and exams for multiple NDT certifications. I am interested in taking a few especially UT and RT. Would appreciate some pointers and suggestions on this matter.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-27-2017 02:38
Welcome to the forum Zim!

UT and RT are excellent processes to learn.

Pointers?   Those will come with more specific questions

Advice... Look into ASNT TC1A    Understanding how UT and RT certifications actually work is important.

There are some training vendors out there who are very willing to lead people down a garden path of believing that 40 or 80 hours in their lab will make you a level I or level II NDT practitioner.   This could not be further from the truth.   To be qualified/certifiable to ASNT TC1A an operator must have hundreds or thousands of hours of hands on "scrub time" for UT and RT also has a large requirement.

I'm not saying that your school is doing anything of the sort... But you should read their literature carefully and talk to them at length AFTER you have read it, so that you know exactly what will be expected from you in the class (lots of trigonometry) and what you will actually walk away with when you complete.

You can pass the exams (written) for an NDT process and still require many many hours of hands on inspection before you are actually a level I or a level II

There is plenty of free information about this on the web...
Parent - - By Zzims Date 12-27-2017 05:33
From the information provided by the school, it is certified by BinDT. What should I look for in the syllabus? UT from my understanding requires a better interpretation by the operator to avoid overlooking failures. What about RT? Classes are scheduled
for 15 days which I am hoping to be more lab work than classes. Going to look more into ASNT TC1-A, don't want to get into this uninformed. If you do have anymore advices I would appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-27-2017 20:55
It is most likely that the scholl is providing the "classroom" hours of training only. As Lawrence said, you must accrue many hours of hand-on experience under the watchful eye of a Level II or Level III.

Check to see if the instructor has been certified by ASNT, not simply certified in accordance with ASNT.

There are three certification schemes used by most commercial laboratories.
1) ASNT SNT-TC-1A is a recommended practice for the qualification and certification of NDE personnel. This is the least restrictive scheme for employer based certification. You must be tested and certified by each employer. The certification is not transferable to another employer. The Level III can be employer certified.

2) ASNT CP-189 is a standard where the minimum requirements must be met in accordance with the document. again, this is an employer based certification. The Level III must be certified by ASNT. The employer must still certify the Level III even though he/she is certified by ASNT.

3) ASNT ACCP - this is a central certification where the Level II and Level III is qualified and certified by ASNT. The employer must still certify the Level II and Level III. The Level III must be certified through ASNT.

4) AWS certifications for MT and PT - individual must pass the certification examinations administered through AWS approved facilities. The candidate must provide objective evidence of the necessary relevant work experience. To my knowledge this program is not yet recognized by other governing bodies.

5) NAVSEA TP271 - individuals must be qualified and certified by the employer in accordance with SNT-TC-1A. The recommendations listed in SNT-TC-1A are considered to be the minimum requirements.

There are others, but these are the one's most frequently encountered. Instruction provided by an individual that is not an ASNT certified Level III may not be acceptable to some programs. The employer's written practice should list the qualifications of the instructors providing classroom training. There are schools out there that sell their training programs, but the instructors are not qualified to provide that training required by the different standards.

Once the classroom training requirements have been met, you need to accrue the necessary relevant hands-on experience under the supervision of a Level II or Level III. My work around was to hire a Level II to witness me performing the work. the Level II had to sign for the work and signed my log book indicating the hours. It took over a year in some cases to accrue the necessary hours.

I am not familiar with BinDT.

Good luck.

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2017 14:50
This response should be "stickied" to the top for future references.

Thank you Al for the Level III response.

To the original Poster.... Almost all training is good...  It's a matter of understanding if what is offered meets your needs and if you are getting value for the coin you put out to get it.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-28-2017 21:23
"This response should be "stickied" to the top for future references."

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-29-2017 04:49
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Advice regarding certification classes.

Powered by mwForum 2.29.2 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill