Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding
- - By Daniel McConnel Date 01-01-2018 16:25
I am a beginner
My question. Mig welder flux core / plasma cutter combo. Is there one and what is the best for personal use?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-02-2018 10:37
Most of the "Combo" machines that include a plasma cutter are imports from various manufacturers and distributors overseas.

I for instance have a Longevity Stick/Tig/Plasma that is about 9 years old and still welds (at a reduced output) and also will no operate in plasma mode. But I paid around $500.00 for it and it has long since paid for itself but is pretty much useless for anything but lower amperage welding.

Had I bought a conventional transformer/rectifier that was just for stick welding, it would still be welding today at full capacity and would probably continue to do so for many years to come.

I recently purchased a CC/CV (Stick, DC Tig, or wire fed process) ESAB machine and its been great.

Gerald
Parent - By Offingapp Date 04-18-2018 09:37
Thanx for useful info
Parent - - By mariagarcia (*) Date 05-21-2019 11:17
Flux-cored welding does not require a shielding gas. Instead, flux-cored wire is used to shield the arc from contamination.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-21-2019 11:38
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-21-2019 11:39
Only if the electrode is selected from the self shielded family. If not, a supplementary shielding gas is required.

Al
- By StefanLuoma Date 08-08-2019 12:35
thank. Useful information
- - By Jrkwelder86 Date 08-30-2019 15:54
Hey guys, looking for any helpful information here. I am currently going through NDT level II training for certification. The instructor has asked me to produce six variations of defective welds for the hands on testing portion. Specifically looking for lack of fill, lack of fusion, porosity, crater cracks, transverse cracks and centerline cracks. Lack of fill, lack of fusion, and crater cracks shouldn't prove to be too difficult to produce, but the other three are testing my patience. Any help on producing any of these defects intentionally would be greatly appreciated. Also worth noting he wants the porosity one to be in the sub surface but not visible at the surface
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-30-2019 18:08
I built a couple test plates for UT where I placed a piece of #10 copper wire in the joint and welded over it. It produced a nice FSH indication.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-03-2019 13:03
Hey Jrkwelder,
Here are some recommendations:

Centerline crack. Make a weld with a low width to depth ratio.  For example, narrow V-groove.  Make sure it has high restraint.

Sub-surface porosity.  Decrease the shielding gas (assuming GMAW), weld sample, cut sample, examine for porosity.  No porosity? Lower shielding gas.....etc.

Transverse crack.  Yeah, I got nothing.  Hardest one to produce when you really, really want one. Good luck with that.

Tyrone
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2019 18:36 Edited 09-08-2019 19:07
Transverse crack; weld with high strength filler metal, 90 or 100 ksi,  and give it a slight bend once it's cooled. Doesn't crack every time, but often enough.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-09-2019 12:15
Hard facing filler may provide those transverse cracks he is looking for
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-09-2019 13:57
Yes, I agree. Typically, they are high strength, high hardness. Finding the right electrode that doesn't crack in both the longitudinal and transverse direction may take a couple of tries. Ideally, the weld won't crack until you bend it slightly so you can control the size of the cracks.

Al
- - By Fac3ManKilla757 Date 09-24-2019 14:40
Hey I'm look for some answers to why there aren't to many post about 1018 rod 1/8th rods with ceramic backing I have a test on Saturday like what is the best setting to use and what's the best angle  to use
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2019 15:00
What country are you from? 1018 electrode? Weird........ What is the brand name? "Weld Wood"?

Al
Parent - - By Fac3ManKilla757 Date 09-24-2019 17:07
Yes it 11018 my bad but I have a weld test coming using this 1/8th rod for stick welding process lol
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2019 17:22
Glad you took it with a smile!

It welds just like any other low hydrogen electrode. No whipping, slight weave is fine. I hope they provide a WPS listing the preheat and the maximum interpass temperatures. Don't be afraid to weld hot (on amperage that is). I would probably look at somewhere around 130A, keep a short arc length. Again, if you're comfortable with 7017, this will be no different.

They could have you weld on a plain carbon steel or a Q&T HSLA steel. Either way, the filler metal is usually used on Q&T HSLA steels, so keep in mind you have to maintain a minimum preheat and interpass, but as the temperature approaches the listed maximum interpass temperature, stop and allow the assembly to cool until the temperature is well below the maximum. This is intended to minimize the size of the HAZ, grain coarsening, and poor toughness.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding