Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Failed D1.1 PQR
- - By Pawndave (*) Date 01-03-2018 20:21
Hello,

We recently tested a PQR in our lab for a client that is building a Ferry Terminal, Everything passed except for the Tensiles, 1 out of 5 tensiles that we tested passed, the rest failed to meet the ultimate tensile strength. We had both the client and a Rep from the state here to witness the testing. The Rep from the state took the results to his boss and they decided that they would except the results of the PQR.

Now our client is wanting me to write up the WPS. Does anybody see an issue with this? Im not real comfortable writing a WPS on a failed PQR.

Has anybody ran into a situation like this?

Thanks
Parent - - By Steelslinger (**) Date 01-03-2018 22:29
If the customer/owner and the State signed off (literally, in writing) on accepting the PQRs and Lab Results, then I would go ahead and write the WPSs. I would make sure that I had the PQRs, Results, WPSs and the State/Owner Signoff all together.

At that point, it becomes their problem. Sec. 1.1 & 1.4.1 - The Engineer or Contract (for the job) can override, modify or exempt any provisions those choose.

Just make sure you have documentation of it.
Parent - - By Maggs47 (**) Date 01-03-2018 23:59
I agree with Adam, but also make sure you are professionally comfortable with the WPS.  If you don't think the welds will be sound, then you have the choice to go with it anyway and point the blame to the state/owners, or back away from a dangerous/doomed project before your name is tied to it permanently.  Personally, I'd be especially wary of modifications to code provisions that are only made after the results come back.  Either way, the biggest thing is what Adam said last: "Just make sure you have documentation of it."
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-04-2018 01:17
You stated the tensile test results didn't meet the requirements of D1.1, but just how bad were the test results? Did the failure occur in the base metal or the weld? Was there an obvious defect in the failed specimens? Was there an issue with the machining of the test specimens? Did you record the test results as "Failed"?

Did you witness the welding of the test coupon? Did you record the welding variables for each weld bead? Do you have the CMTRs for the base metal used?

I for one will not write a WPS I did not witness. I will not perform a bend test on specimens if I did not witness the welding. I will not complete a welder qualification test record if I did not witness the welding. That's just my position to protect my reputation and my business.

However, if you are an employee, you pretty much have to do what the employee tells you to do unless it is a direct violation of the code of ethics you subscribed to when you accepted the CWI credential. Oh, you are not a CWI, your free to do whatever the employer asks except commit fraud. You go to jail for that, not the employer.

Al
Parent - By Pawndave (*) Date 01-04-2018 17:29
Great, thanks for the advice. MAGA!!!
Parent - - By Pawndave (*) Date 01-04-2018 17:31
Great, thanks for the Advice. I told my client that the state would have to sign off on it and the backed off on it.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-04-2018 17:54
That isn't unusual when someone has to put their name on the dotted line.

Everything is fine until they have to accept responsibility for their actions.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Failed D1.1 PQR