Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Need Advice From an NBIC Professional For a non-BEP Dilemma
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 01-09-2018 18:36
I'm struggling to compile this question so it may need to evolve as (or if) I get any feedback from the Forum. It's also long so please stick with me . . .

My place of work is in a large industrial complex with numerous large, steam heated buildings and each building has it's own local steam boiler. The typical boilers are rated at 150psig and produce steam at rates of ~4400 #/hr.  The working pressure is dropped down and is distributed throughout the pipe network at 9psig.  Based on this low working pressure, I assume all the boiler external piping for these buildings was originally designed and constructed under the ASME B31.9 Code for Building Services Piping.

Because of the age of the piping, the maintenance group is frequently called in for repairs which they often do by welding in patches when leaks spring or when a terminal unit needs replacement, usually on a crisis intervention basis.   The welds are never inspected. The welders are not, nor have they ever been qualified and they know nothing about procedures. As an inhabitant of these buildings, I worry that someone will eventually get hurt from their sloppy workmanship.   Feast your eyes on this beauty (attached) and you'll see what I mean and why I'm concerned.

Since common sense does not exist here and no one in their chain of command will accept the idea of training or qualifying the maintenance welders I am trying to find legal leverage to force my concerns as a code compliance issue and this is the beginning of my question:  What code would be applicable?   Is the NBIC Part 3 applicable to low pressure steam distribution piping?   Paragraph 1.2(a) of the 2007 edition re-invokes the original construction standard for repair & alteration of any "pressure-retaining item"  and paragraph 1.2(e) specifically addresses steam piping and also re-invokes the original code of construction for repairs or alterations.  As far as I can tell, the NBIC doesn't discriminate based on low system operating pressure so I conclude that if B31.9 was applicable when the system was built, it is applicable now when repairs are needed.

Does anyone agree or disagree with my logic so far?

If NBIC Part 3 is applicable to low pressure steam piping repairs then I can force the issue of requiring the maintenance welders to be trained, qualified, inspected, etc. and also mandate creation of qualified weld procedures.

If this sounds reasonable then I next have to find out how the NBIC becomes a legal standard.    The 29CFR and OSHA list ASME B31.1 is "consensus standard" that has been adopted by reference and therefore is tantamount to law BUT I cannot find any mention of the NBIC or B31.9 also being listed as "consensus standards".    Can anyone help me make this connection?

Incidentally, while seeking truth on this subject I have talked (informally) with a state official and also an NBIC committee member and both have expressed the opinion that low pressure heating systems such as I have described are not covered by any jurisdiction and therefore are not subject to inspections or normal weld qualifications.   Can this possibly be true ?!?!  

All opinions and advice are gratefully accepted.
Thanks.
Attachment: TypicalMaintenanceWeld1.jpg (289k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2018 18:54
Hi Tom,
I took a gander at your picture. That name of the picture brings connotations that one would expect to see some welding when the picture is opened, ....however unless these pipes are made of brass, I cannot fathom that this would be considered welding.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 01-09-2018 20:13
I didn't realize that photo was so enormous, so I tried resizing.
But you are right that is more like caulking, not welding and now you understand my concerns !!!
Attachment: TypicalMaintenanceWeld1.jpg (63k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2018 20:41
When I think of welding, I think about melting the base material and adding some similar filler material. Your picture looks like it is brazed, not welded.

https://www.pharmpro.com/product-release/2005/06/making-sure-steam-piping-safe10-simple-rules-and-things-look
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 01-10-2018 15:42
I think the picture would be even more embarrassing as a braze than as a weld.  Massive amount of excess material for a braze.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-10-2018 04:06
You mentioned that the boilers are rated for 150 psi, however, the steam pressure is reduced to about 9 psi in the distribution system. ASME codes typical are usually mandated by the local municipality or state when the pressure exceeds 15 psi. So, the boiler is probably covered by the code, but not the distribution piping.

However, the owners are responsible for ensuring the safety of the workers or the tenants whatever the case is. Should a person get scalded or worse if a joint leaked or failed, the owner would be liable.

If the person injured happens to be a worker, the employer would be held liable, but that’s what worker’s compensation laws and insurance are for. They protect the employer against law suits by the employee. Still, OSHA requires the employer to provide a safe work environment. When there is a serious injury, OSHA may be involved and they could levy a fine against the employer.

If you want to stir the hornet’s nest to get some action, contact the insurance carrier and ask them to perform a walking inspection. They strive to reduce their exposure to a claim. If they see a situation that could result in a claim, i.e., a serious injury, they can demand corrective actions be taken or the owner could risk losing insurance coverage. Many insurance policies require the boiler and piping system comply with appropriate codes even if the code is not a legal requirement. It becomes a condition or a provision to get insurance coverage.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 01-10-2018 12:36
"...  the owners are responsible for ensuring the safety of the workers or the tenants  ... "

yes, this is ultimately what I'm after for the present circumstance and future negligence's that may be less visible but equally or more dangerous. And am in the process of stirring the hornets nest but need to get my facts clear.  The 'owner' could ensure the safety by restricting or permanently setting up barriers to reduce harm in the event of a ruptured weld but this is not the fix that is needed.  The owner is negligent by allowing workers to pretend they are welders without training and turning out crap as is illustrated in the photo. I can't fault the worker since he doesn't know what he doesn't know, even though his job title is "welder".  I want the owner to establish a system of oversight, qualifications and inspections where welding is concerned but can't force this remedy on them unless I can find the secret jurisdiction that governs LP non-BEP piping.  Calling on an insurance company is a good idea but first need to arm myself with facts and not just my opinion on how the world should work. 

for John-
you are correct, that is braze but it was brazed over top of their initial weld which cracked and leaked.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 01-10-2018 14:49
just sent a formal inquiry to the chief inspector for the state. This may get me the answer I need, or it may get me fired. Or both, haha!!
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 01-24-2018 11:52
looks like they first welded, then braze welded a threaded connection
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Need Advice From an NBIC Professional For a non-BEP Dilemma