Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stitch Welds structural channel on beam
- - By CraneGuy Date 05-20-2003 17:23
Can anyone point me to specs/standards for stitch welding channel onto beam for crane bridge beams and/or runways? For example, does the length and frequency of welds required change based upon the size of the material or the length of the beam?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-21-2003 15:09
AISC (the American Institute of Steel Construction) has issued recommended practices for structural steel welding.
Visit their site at www.aisc.org
Giovanni s. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-22-2003 11:22
Would this fall under D14.1:97? (Cranes and material handling equipment)
John Wright
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 05-22-2003 14:06
Craneguy, I have built many cranes and your answer is twofold, yes they do change, but it is always an engineering decision. It is D14.1 and you should not make a decision on weld size and location without consulting the engineer of record. At the very least consult the manufacturer of the crane, they are probably the ones who spec'd out the runway. Intermittent welding is not as straight forward to calculate as a full strength fillet weld. Anyone who is not the engineer for that job who changes the material or the weld size or location takes it upon themselves to accept the responsibility for the structural integrity of that crane.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-22-2003 17:08
Seats or the method of attachment to the structure, I think would fall under D1.1 structural code and the crane and it's rails, etc.. would come under D14.1.
My opinion only, check to be sure.
John Wright
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 05-23-2003 10:29
John, I think what he is looking for is the weld size and location for the c-channel that the train track for the bridge and the trolley sit on.

Mike Sherman
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stitch Welds structural channel on beam