Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Robotic Welding Certification
- - By tsperlin Date 01-17-2018 15:44
I am a second year welding student currently working on becoming a certified robotic welding operator. I will be certifying to a process created by my school. Will this certification allow me to have an advantage over other job applicants or will it give me the opportunity to make more money than I would without a certification. 

If you're wondering why there have been so many robotic welding related it is because my class has an assignment that involves coming to this forum and asking a question. Our instructor understands the value and usefulness of this forum and is trying to make sure we know how to use and navigate it for future reference. Thank you all for helping make this forum a valuable resource for aspiring welders like myself.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-17-2018 20:45
"I am a second year welding student currently working on becoming a certified robotic welding operator."
- This is great. It's very encouraging to hear that a tech school is running this type of program.

"I will be certifying to a process created by my school."
- Is this "Certification" based on the AWS D16.4 - Specification for the Qualification of Robotic Arc Welding Personnel ?

"Will this certification allow me to have an advantage over other job applicants or will it give me the opportunity to make more money than I would without a certification."
- Yes and No...  Speaking as a guy who is involved in and frustrated by the selection and hiring of robotic welding personnel, Yes - I would love to be able to hire someone who has already been trained in what I need them to do and yes, would be willing to pay extra for that.
- No - If you're certified to GMAW on a Fanuc, and I need someone to RW with an IGM, your certification would not be helpful if I could find other applicants with the skill-set I need.

Free Advice - Often "Robotic Operator" positions are low wage jobs for lesser skilled people who load and unload robots that higher skilled and paid people have set up and programmed. These folks are often referred to as "Button Pushers". That's all good, and a good way to get your foot in the door through an entry level position. However, robotic programmers and integrators, especially those who can make a robot produce acceptable welds, are the folks who can go anywhere, make real money, and take their pick of jobs.

BTW - I think you have a very intelligent Instructor. Good on him/her!

Tim
Parent - By tsperlin Date 01-19-2018 14:37
-Yes, I agree. I am very satisfied with my Education here at Mitchell Technical Institute.

-Yes the certification is based on AWS D16.4

-We are certifying to GMAW on Fanuc machines. According to our instructor it is the most commonly used process in industry

-Thank you very much for the reply and the advice, it is very appreciated . I am very happy to have this training which will allow me to learn how to program robots and expand my resume.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Robotic Welding Certification