Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / friction weld internal flash reduction
- - By Obenshain Date 05-22-2003 14:36
Hi,
I work for the Department of Energy Savannah River Site Technology Transfer Office. A group within our lab has developed two new techniques to substantially reduce internal flash on friction welded parts where a flash trap or removal of the flash post-welding is not possible. One technique involves pressurizing the part, while the other involves an sacrificial mandrel. Since this technology is owned by the federal government, I am required to seek out commercial people/applications that might benefit. Please let me know any thoughts you might have on the technology as well as any potential uses. Thanks in advance!
Mark Obenshain
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 05-24-2003 04:19
Oben:
If you have not done so already, contact the good people at Interface Welding (www.interfacewelding.com). I believe one of the principals was on the AWS C6.1 committee, at least in the past. They are very experienced with this process and perform some really neat welds.

Have one of their samples here on my display.
VERY cool stuff comes out of their shop.
Parent - By fineorl Date 05-26-2003 17:43
Is the process for friction stir welding? If yes, would you mind contacting me @504-257-0669. We have recently introduced FSW on the Shuttle Aluminum Lithium External Tank. We are experiencing flash that must be removed prior to NDE (very laborious). Thank You. Richard Fineout
Parent - By scmait (*) Date 05-28-2003 14:08
I work for an aerospace company that might be interested in your technique. Is there more information you could supply or a website?

SCMait
Parent - By koenfaes Date 05-20-2006 13:04
Hello,

We are conducting a project about friction welding of pipes.
Since the internal flashes have to be removed we are of course interested in keeping them as small as possible.
If you want I can send you more information.
Is your information public or is it still confidential ?

Greetings,

Koen Faes
Belgian Welding Institute
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / friction weld internal flash reduction