Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice on career
- - By basedSMAWman Date 01-26-2018 16:49
I am in welding school and have 10 weeks left. I live in western Pennsylvania. My goal is to get on the pipeline, but I realize that is very difficult. After reading on here becoming a welder helper on the pipeline is the way to go, but that is starting to seem like an impossibility because I do not know anyone, and there are absolutely no jobs like that posted online. I just talked to this one company who is looking for a TIG welder and they sound like they want to hire me. They make fittings for the pipeline. So I would be in a shop all day tigging up these fittings. the pay is not good, but I thought that if I were to be good enough to make the fittings they are using on the pipeline that I would also be good enough to weld the line itself, plus I would get a few years of experience. I also thought that would be a good job to meet people in the field if I were to ask the sales reps at that company some questions. Is this a good way to get started if I wanted to eventually find myself on the pipeline, or am I thinking wrong? thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-26-2018 18:54
I think any welding experience is good for the resume'. Go for it! :cool:
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 01-26-2018 21:04
Take the TIG job. Get some real world experience.

I know welding schools like to pull students in by saying "all you have to do is take our course and you'll be making $100K+ on the pipelines!" But the majority of work in our industry is in shops. I was a welder, then fitter, then fabricator in structural shops and it took me 20 years to break $12/hr.

And now 10 years since, I've gotten my CWI and CWS (US and Canada), and I'm a QA/QC Manager for a large structural/bridge shop in the NW.

You have to start somewhere, and it usually isn't at the top.
Good luck!
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 01-26-2018 21:08
I suppose, for reference and context, I should add that when I graduated welding school in 1988, I got a job welding box beams for Trident Nuclear submarines at $8.50/hr... which was good money then; more than TWICE the minimum wage at the time.
Parent - - By basedSMAWman Date 01-26-2018 21:26
I think I will take it just for the experience. $14/hr is very hard to live on, but they said they are working 60 hours so it could work out. Thanks.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-27-2018 03:23
My first welding job paid $4 an hour
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-27-2018 14:12
My first welding job paid $4.80 a day!  Sixty cents an hour was the going rate for apprentices, and we also worked 48 hrs. before we got overtime.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2018 15:53
Gee Ron, now you make that $1.50 an hour I earned when I first started look pretty sweet!

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-29-2018 12:06
My first was $2.65/hr.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-29-2018 13:46
I should also mention that draft beer was ten cents a half-pint, and room and board was $40 a month!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice on career