Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Mig
- - By Txweldr Date 01-27-2018 22:23
First time running mig on stainless

Going to be taking a 3&4g test next week on 3/8” plate .

Would like some advice and tips and suggestions on what volts & wire speed works for you and techniques

Also the employer wants the 3g test to be ran downhill
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-28-2018 00:14
Follow the WPS the employer provides, that should get you there.
Can't provide anything else with the information provided.

Carl
Parent - - By Txweldr Date 01-28-2018 04:15
:red:Well don’t know the procedure yet . The company hasn’t given the info to whoever they are dealing with at my local union.
Its going to be a couple of days before they receive that information . So I wanted to practice in the meantime
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2018 15:51
Tough to say without knowing the shielding gas or the diameter of the electrode or the thickness of the joint or whether it is with or without backing or .............

I wish you the best while you take the test. Downhill vertical isn't my first choice because of the limited heat input and the probability of incomplete fusion. Make sure you wire brush the joint before initiating the arc. Any oxide will promote incomplete fusion, even with relatively thin material.

Al
Parent - - By Txweldr Date 02-08-2018 23:10
Test is a 3/8” plate with 1/4” gap and backing strip
Running mig 0.35 317L downhill
75/25 argon/co2
Will be doing a bend test

My only concern is lack of fusion
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-09-2018 01:26
75/25 weld gas for 300 series stainless sounds out of the normal
Parent - - By Txweldr Date 02-09-2018 01:43
THats what I thought , but that’s what the employer wants to be used
Parent - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 02-09-2018 22:47
Maybe the test is telling him the wrong gas is listed. Otherwise the weld will be contaminated with oxidation, will rust. could crack, ect. Anyway StainMix is 98ar/2Co2 and works like a charm. :cool:
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-10-2018 04:53
Good luck. Downhill progression is a loser's bet. Incomplete fusion is a good bet.

You mention a gap, I take that to mean a root opening on backing if it is actually 1/4 inch.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has passed that test.

Remember, the reason austenitic stainless is so corrosion resistant is the oxide that forms thus protecting the substrate. That same oxide layer is going to resist fusion, so make sure you wire brush before making the first pass and every pass after that.

317L; sounds like an application involving sulfuric acid.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless Mig