Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT TEMPERATURE RANGE
- - By Deepu VB Date 01-28-2018 13:53
Hi everyone,

Can I know the PWHT temperature and soaking time of a particular weld can be decided based upon the weld metal PWHT requirements as mentioned in ASME Sec 2 Part C.

For example, I am using a base metal SA335 P11 grade 4" sch 40 pipe weld with E8018-B2 welding rod SMAW process. The PWHT can be selected according to ASME Sec 2 part C as, SFA 5.5, E8018-B2 PWHT for 690 plus or minus 15 degree celcius for 1 hour soaking. Is this correct the correct way.

Thanks!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2018 15:46
PWHT is usually based on the base metal thickness or the joint thickness, whichever is greater. The PWHT parameters are based on the construction code, i.e., B31.1, Section VIII, Section I, etc.

The electrode manufacturer includes PWHT when the electrode is qualified to verify it will provide the necessary mechanical properties after the PWHT listed in the manufacture's product information. However, the contractor still has to qualify the WPS using the same A number, F number, and P number as used in construction. The qualification also must include PWHT if the product requires PWHT as part of the production requirements.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT TEMPERATURE RANGE