Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Resistance welding
- - By Av0uu Date 05-23-2003 16:28
Hi, I'm a student of Mechanical engineering and i am researching fracures in seam welded tubes. I cannot find what the commposition of the weld solder used. The tube is steel. Does anyone know what solder is used in resistance welding of this type?
Parent - - By scmait (*) Date 05-23-2003 16:33
Typically there is no solder used in resistance seam welded tube! Do you have information that tells you otherwise?
Parent - By Av0uu Date 05-23-2003 16:34
do you mean that there is no welding material in the joint, just the metal of the pipe itself?
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-23-2003 17:36
Resistance welded tubes do not use any filler metal. Filler metal is only added once the thickness gets high enough that arc welding is required (and sometimes filler metal is still not used if it is welded autogenously). Also, welding requires melting of the base metal. When solder is used, the base metal does not melt, and the liquid solder forms a bond with the still solid base metal.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2003 18:18
Large custom sized tubing has a backing bar on the inside of the tube that runs the full length of the tube.
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Resistance welding