Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Shootings
- - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-23-2018 12:02
Arm school teachers?  Make schools hard targets? Really?
What's next? Libraries, theatres, churches, daycares and hospitals?
WTF?!

Just can't wrap my head around it.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 02-24-2018 03:44
Remove the gun safe zone.
Arm any Teachers that care to do so.
Don't advertise where Teachers are armed or not. Let the bad guys figure it out.
Parent - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 02-24-2018 17:42 Edited 02-24-2018 17:51
It is already being done on domestic flights. A program is in place to train and issue firearm permits to members of flight crew if they want to volunteer. It is an extension of the federal air marshal division of Homeland Security.

In light of the cowardly sheriff deputy fiasco the same type of program could implemented for schools. Send a message to psychopaths that will be met with deadly force and end that stupid gun free zone stuff.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-27-2018 01:03
If anything perhaps money needs donated by Uncle Sam to fortify schools.  My kids' district east of KC has their on police force with a cop or 2 in each school, K-12. Also every door is locked and you have to get buzzed in.

I have a friend who's a school counselor in San Antonio thatsays her building is wide open.  To cop, metal detector or anything.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-27-2018 12:42
You make it sound crazy that the San Antonio school is free of cops, metal detector or anything.
To me, it's crazy that any school has any of those things.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 02-27-2018 20:49
It's unfortunate that places might benefit from such security protocols.
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 02-27-2018 21:22
There is also a significant difference in school construction and layout across the country.  In NY we had large buildings with hallways, but in SoCal classrooms typically open up to outdoor space between classroom building with not a hallway in sight.  NY schools would be easier to install metal detectors and buzzers for entry, but warm weather areas would require significantly more investment in schools that are already so cash strapped that teachers across the country spend their own money on teaching supplies.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-25-2018 16:06
Who decides which teachers are mentally stable enough to pack a firearm?

I know a number of teachers that shouldn't be teaching, let alone carry a firearm.

So, the question remains, who would be permitted to carry the firearm and who would make the decision that Mr. X and Ms. Y are fit to be given the responsibility to carry the firearm in the classroom? What would be the qualifications?

Who is responsible and who is liable should a bystander inadvertently get wounded or worse? Is the teacher personally liable and if so, who is going to pay for the insurance and costs of their legal defense? Is the school administration legally responsible for the teacher's poor aim? What is the added cost of insurance and again, who bears the cost of the legal defense should something go horribly wrong? And, let's face it, sooner or later something horrible will go wrong. It could be an accidental discharge or a misinterpretation of someone's comments. What if a student or someone else grabs the gun from the teacher?

Is the teacher expected to be "Dirty Harry" when there is a confrontation? "Go ahead punk, make my day." Is that teacher going to aim and shoot and only hit the intended target in a crowded school hallway? How many errant shots hitting bystanders is tolerable. "Better 10 dead innocents, than 20?" Would a parent be less distraught to learn the bullet that wounded or killed their child was fired by a teacher with good intentions?

Sorry, I don't think arming teachers is a good idea any more than I like the idea of a student bring a firearm into the classroom.

Al
Parent - - By Maggs47 (**) Date 02-26-2018 17:22
On top of all of Al's points, are we really going to expect teachers who most likely have a personal relationship with a shooter student to kill that child?

I know of many teachers who will quit the profession if they or their associates are armed.

How about we pay for school counselors, social workers, and better school environments.  I bet that would go a lot farther than buying teachers guns (who am I kidding, we don't even buy teachers chalk).
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-26-2018 20:09
I would like to see lethal force to stop the shooter in his/her tracks...however, I'm not so sure arming teachers is all that great of an idea. Maybe if they already have a conceal carry permit, training and have a safe place to keep the firearm secure, it would be okay, but I digress...

MAYBE, just Maybe...If the School, FBI, State Police, and local Sheriff had taken the multiple occasions where they were already involved with this last kid seriously, something would have been done BEFORE this even took place in Fla. Hello, how many occurrences do you need before this kid was considered a risk to his own (or the public) safety?
Parent - - By Maggs47 (**) Date 02-26-2018 20:41
Don't forget social services.  If a kid is expelled from school, maybe there should be some sort of automatic follow-up in place.  And yes, the ball was dropped so many times that it would be a Marx brothers movie except for the dead people.
Parent - - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 02-27-2018 23:00
Maggs, the system is in place but not enforced. Cracks in the system can always happen but this one takes the cake. I would rather we go back to the way it was before Joe Biden's gun free zone legislation passed. Let local jurisdictions choose how their constituency will be protected.

And Happy Birthday!
Parent - - By Maggs47 (**) Date 02-27-2018 23:36
Terry,

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

If you're going to point the finger at Joe Biden for introducing this law, please remember that George Bush Sr. signed it into law when there was not a veto proof majority in either house.  In fact it was passed by voice vote in the senate and 313-1 in the house.

For better or worse, the culture and composition of the US has changed since 1990 when this was passed.  We can't go back to the way it was before the law was passed because you would have to wind back a lot more than just scratching a law off the books.  Rather than gaze glassy eyed at fond memories of the past, we need to focus on the present in order to forge a better future.  I don't have all the answers, but I want us to try someting, because thoughts and prayers aren't cutting it.
Parent - - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 02-28-2018 16:39
Maggs. I agree with the "thoughts and prayers" sentiment. You are right, something does need changing. First step is I agree with raising the age for firearm purchase to 21. I also agree with mandatory federal background checks nationwide. I also agree with Dick's Sporting Goods advocation of a national database for prohibited persons. California for all of it's faults has a decent program going. Perhaps even New York.The rest of the country should follow suit.
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 02-28-2018 16:44
Well, that's two of us who agree.  If only we could convince the 535 members of congress and the orange guy down the street from them.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Shootings