Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dynasty or Invertec owners??
- - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-25-2003 19:37
Hey guys, a few of you here had recently purchased Invertec v205 units and I just wanted an update on what your thoughts were after using it for a while? Most interested in the AC function on aluminum and the ease of switching input currents....110 to 220.

Thanks!
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 05-30-2003 03:39
Dirtrider,

My understanding is that the V205T 220 to 110 conversion is as simple as plugging it into an adapter -- it figures it out! I haven't done this with mine, though...

I have found aluminum to be challenging, but I suspect that it is more me than the machine. I have always welded DC in the past.

I have to say, though, that it is a very nice machine. Well worked out. Really nice arc stability.

The cost is killer, though -- it's the only downside!

Chris
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-30-2003 16:20
Ya, they're expensive. I like the idea of the weight savings and the ability to plug into a 110v.

I am curious though, if they're going to be harder to use on aluminum than say a Syncrowave stand-alone unit? Esab has that 161 that is an inverter and light weight as well, but strictly 220 I believe.

Thanks and good luck with it!
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 05-30-2003 19:48
It is going to be easier to control than any Transformer machine.The puddle gets wet faster with a inverter,and other things like the control of the arc.The Esab that is made in sweden is 230,and so is the Thermal-arc prowave 185.It best deal going on the small ones if 230 volts does not matter.
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-30-2003 21:41
Scott, I followed one of your other tips regarding the Thermal-arc unit, but wasn't really able to see any "street" prices? What does that unit sell for, like a good online price? 110v would only be a luxury to be able take to say a friends house to do something or to the lake to weld on the dock.
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 05-30-2003 22:36
Dirtrider,In the above post it looks like I am saying the Thermal is made in Sweden,it is not.I think it's Japan.Most guys are paying for a ready to weld package(without bottle)$1700.00 to your door.If you go to the Hobart web-site lot's of people have bought them there.Not one complaint from any of the people there,so far.I post over there just to stir the pot.Here is one such post.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1663&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-31-2003 18:20
Scott,

Thanks for the link, I read all the posts. Do you have the 185? Or did your last post say something about a 300?? That really is a great price for what you get!
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 05-31-2003 21:34
Dirtrider,I have a prowave 300.My friend at that welding store that sold me mine has welded with the prowave 185,and the dynasty 200,and the Lincoln 205T.He says they are all great welders,so pick what you like.I do know Thermal has been making ac/dc inverters a long time.
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 06-03-2003 19:24
Scott,

Your 300 says 200a output at 220v/50a input....do you need 460 to get the full 300a???

After perusuing some online sales sites for Thermal Arc, they really do offer a LOT for the money on a lot of their machines. That Tig-wave 250 looks like a hell of an aluminum welding machine as well...for $2000! The light little inverter would sure be nice though. The 185 Pro-wave is about the same price as the Esab 161, but it has more power & more features...pretty damn neat.
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 06-03-2003 19:48
I have pulled 180 amps on ac welding using my 30 amp line.I didn't want to push the issue very much farther.The Thermals don't pull anywhere near what there rating says.I do run it on 230 volt- 90 amp line just in case.The amp draw does not change when you change the wave balance like transformer machines.The Inverters,and transformers machines start to even out in the amp draw at the top up their outputs,but lower outputs the inverters are way ahead.Mine 300 does say 86 amps max.My Esab 252 was about 112 amps or so with a balanced wave,and even more if you added more cleaning to the balance.That's with both at 300 amps.The Tig-wave 250 is what they got from the Hobart deal.Also Aaron at the Hobart site has pulled 199 amps out of his Thermal-arc prowave on a 20 amp-230 volt line.I just don't have that kind of guts to test mine like that.My warranty is up,and his is just starting.
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 06-03-2003 21:16
Scott,

All the information is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time answer my question and educate me on the Thermal Arc stuff. A TIG is no doubt in my future. I just bought another bike, KTM 525 EXC, so it will be a few weeks before I dare add anything else to the garage. But, I really enjoy working with aluminum, as it's easy to cut, grind, etc and it's lighter and certainly more suited for most of my auto/motorcycle needs. I am glad I started with MIG though. It gave me a chance to get started at 1/3 of where a TIG would have put me, plus it seems like a good idea to have both...keep the MIG for faster steel jobs and the TIG for the pretty stuff.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-01-2003 00:52
I have the 185...beautiful machine! welds great w/ stick, and it's a beauty w/ TIG.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Dynasty or Invertec owners??