Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1954 Sa200 Shorthood. 110v outlet hookup. No arc issue.
- - By Lkraft67 Date 03-02-2018 02:25
Hello, for a couple months now I've had this welder, and it's actually welded fine no issues. But, I went to change out my outlet plug, to a modern one, and I had a wire break off and I'm not sure where it goes, looks like maybe the rheostat?. Anybody have a picture to help me out, on how to hook it up?. Only had 2 wires off the old one, 1 wire out of the generator, and possibly 1 going to the rheostat.. any help on that would great.

Second issue, the welder starts up (hand crank) and runs fine, minus a little smoke. But as I said above it used to weld fine, but now it won't even strike an arc, nor idle up. Doesnt even attempt any sparks. But while running on idle, I noticed my rheostat started glowing orange when it was cranked up past 40-50. Is there a reason why it would be doing this?. Is that a leading cause on why it won't weld anymore?.

Was my grandpa's welder looking to get it working, since it was just working a month ago. Looking to get it restored soon. But want it completely functioning.
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 03-02-2018 17:23
Without pictures or other details, I'd say that with this wire loose, the all the power is dumping into the rheostat rather than being used to strike an arc.  Fix the wiring and you should be able to weld again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 1954 Sa200 Shorthood. 110v outlet hookup. No arc issue.