Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hello From Canada! Relocating to Plano, Texas
- - By Phoenixx27 Date 03-04-2018 15:41 Edited 03-04-2018 15:43
What can I expect in terms of wages and Opportunities in Plano or dallas Texas? Please read below before answering.
Hello All,
I hope this new post finds everyone well.
In search of hoping to find answers I came across AWS forums and read some of the postings some of you have wrote and found allot of good support and opinions from the community. With that I would like to share my thoughts with those willing to answer.

I'm 41 yrs old, I've been in the welding trade since I was 17. First 12 yrs in custom fabrication building custom hydraulic/pneumatic equipment, conveyors, lifting equip., hoppers, mezzanines & structural steel basically give me a drawing and I can build anything. Some work involved plant maint. This time was spent in the industrial environment.
The latter half of my experience to present I've been and Ironworker in miscellaneous metal installation. From Installing Mezzanines, roof structures, red Iron structural steel., Railings and different types of stairs. Curtain wall steel supports. Installation of steel in some inconvenient places.
I've welded in many processes such as SMAW, FCAW, MCAW MIG and TIG even some brazing and soldering.
Within a short time working for companies I always end up in leadership roles such as lead hand, acting foreman to now foreman.
My Canadaian Credentials Im a Red Seal Welder, Red Seal Structural Plate fitter , Red Seal Ironworker Generalist, and I've completed a Millwright Apprenticeship but did not write the Red Seal test because I continued in the ironworking field.
Ive been certified and have welded Pipe 6G with stick.
Im now make 95k a yr working 42hrs 52 weeks. In Toronto. Moving because wife got a good position in Plano Texas.
Yes this is a lot of info but Im hoping it will help me find some answers or direction to my question.

What can I expect in terms of wages and Opportunities in Plano or dallas Texas?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-28-2018 10:40
I don't want to bear bad news butt

Friend: I am also a recent (not true 5 years here) transplant to the far north Dallas area.

The good news is there is an almost endless supply of work for a skilled person here.

Bad news the pool of skill is  pretty good.  A typical combo pipe welder (SS and Carbon)(GTAW and SMAW) is pulling an average between 23-34 top)....that is in the field pipe work.  Clean room and sanitary guys typically pull around 25 per hr locally. A typical structural combo hand primarily carbon with ability to do SS and or aluminum is making less then 23 an hour average both shop and field.  However concerning shop work there is a ton of aerospace and defense contractors in the DFW area....multi skilled welders are the primary requirement.  Those are the folks to get with if you want to plant yourself regardless of initial pay.

I wish you all the luck in the world fella, Plano is not a bad place to live ....especially if you like to fish and or hunt.  It is in Dallas but easy enough to get out of without a lot of effort or drama.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Hello From Canada! Relocating to Plano, Texas