Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS CWi or CSWIP ?? Which one is better for Canada??
- - By pkg1412 Date 03-05-2018 08:55
I have completed my M.E.Welding in 2013 and after that i have 3 years of experience in Fabrication of Super critical Boilers in India.Now i am planning to move canada and want to know which certification is better AWS CWI or CSWIP ??  so mean while i can get certification before i reach Canada. Or any other advice are also welcome.

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2018 11:15
CWB  has a CWI and reciprocal agreement with AWS... killing two birds with one stone.

Also If manufacturing, CWB Welding Engineer exam would make you quite valuable.

Would look into CWB accreditation before AWS or Euro standards
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-05-2018 12:52
Hey Lawrence,
What makes the CWB qualified Weld Eng. designation superior to the AWS CWEng.?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-05-2018 14:03 Edited 03-05-2018 14:10
Hi Tyrone,

For the sake of this discussion only logistics.

I make zero judgement on the scope of the designations, the exams, or the body of knowledge required for each.

The original poster said he was moving to Canada...  In Canada the CWB has great authority, meaning that many fabricators must comply with CSA W47.1 (Certification of companies for fusion welding of steel) which in turn requires a CWB certified welding engineer to be on staff or a consultant depending on the level of plant/company certification.

See CSA W47.1 Clause 6 for Duties, Documentation, and Qualification of Welding Engineers; and Clause 5.2 for differentiation of certified companies requirements for CWB Welding Engineers.

CWB is a bureau in the true sense of the term.  Unlike AWS, it is a government or provincial mandate in many cases.

But if I was moving to Canada and had a Masters level education whilst looking for a post, I would explore CWB requirements fully prior to investing time and resources into American or European designations.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-06-2018 12:05
Understood. Thanks Lawrence.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS CWi or CSWIP ?? Which one is better for Canada??