Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 and D14.1 Many Unlisted Base Metals
- - By Matt F (*) Date 03-08-2018 20:40 Edited 03-08-2018 21:44
#1 question of the day

I'm working with a company that designs and manufactures many custom one-off products to D14.1 and D1.1 (the codes seem to be very similar).
They have the role of design engineer and QC.
I am auditing all of their WPS's to ensure that they are qualified.

They have a short and simple WPS manual that is supposed to cover everything they do.
Almost all of it is prequalified, but they did qualify two broad procedures:
1. A particular 100ksi (D1.1 Table 4.9) steel to group I and II CJP
1. A particular 100ksi (D1.1 Table 4.9) steel to itself CJP

The problem is that they use a bunch of unlisted materials, for example:
33Max plate, HR flat bar, AISI/SAE 1018, 1045, 4140 Q&T round bar, 8620, Weldox 700 - in no particular order.

They have internally decided that some of these can be treated as group I or II, and that some of these can be treated as the same 100ksi steel that they qualified.

D1.1 and D14.1 are pretty clear that if an unlisted base metal is to be used, only the specific PQR base metal combination will be qualified.

They would like to keep doing what they're doing for the most part without running a very large number of PQRs - is there any way that this will be possible?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-09-2018 05:16
With the Engineer's approval, anything is possible under the auspices of the AWS codes. Just remember, it is the Owner's Engineer that has the authority to make exceptions to code requirements, not the fabricator's engineer.

Bottom line: each project has a different Owner, so each project that takes exception to the code would require the Engineer's approval (in writing).

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 and D14.1 Many Unlisted Base Metals