Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Commercial construction Welder Qualifications
- - By tlca Date 03-16-2018 01:46 Edited 03-16-2018 12:17
I had a call today from a commercial contractor asking what my welding business would charge per hour to supply them with a welder to weld the structural members of the building that are not bolt together and require welding. I told him and he said he could get a welder part time or a rig welder to come and do it a lot cheaper than I charge. I asked if he knew that he needed a certified welder and I explained the process to him. He had no idea about what I was talking about. He said he would check with his company to see if he required a certified welder and he would maybe call me back tomorrow. He is actually the vice president of construction for his company according to his business card and they are notably a  multi million dollar company. I kind of had a good laugh after talking to him but wondering if any one monitors these commercial contractors to see if they are complying with the applicable codes of construction.  Apparently if this guy doesn’t even know what I’m talking about then that tells me the County Inspectors in his area don’t even look for welder qualifications.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-16-2018 04:11
The less they know, the more we make. Especially when we have to cut out everything they screwed up and we have to replace it. Their pain is our profit.

Al
Parent - By tlca Date 03-16-2018 14:20
Yes, I think your right about that. I don't have much experience with commercial work, it's been mostly Industrial, from what I have seen commercial contractors erecting structural steel seem to fly below the radar.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Commercial construction Welder Qualifications