Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / InstaPark ADF Welding hood
- - By SaintsChamp517 Date 03-17-2018 17:01
What's up fellow Welders-this is my first post I have been Welding for over 12 years and I recently switched from Flip top lens to auto dark and the first auto dark hood I bought was an InstaPark model GX990T and it only lasted 3 weeks. I even bought a new CR2450 battery and it still doesn't work. At first it would switch shades involuntarily while Welding now it wont get dark at all. I emailed the company asking them to rectify the situation still no response, I guess that's what I get for buying a hood from a Solar Panel company. I got me a TGR auto dark hood in the meantime till I could afford a Miller. Has anyone else had this problem with InstaPark and what's the best most affordable Miller Auto Dark? I am an Oilfield Welder that uses 3/32 Flux core-ESAB Shield Bright 1.6 mm- and Durum
Happy Welding ~
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-17-2018 18:12
All the auto-dark helmets have sensors on the front that have to be exposed to the arc to go dark. If the helmet only has two sensors, it might not get exposed to the bright light of the arc if you are welding in a deep groove. That usually when I see a problem.

Your helmet might have a bad sensor. Like any solid state device, if they are weak from the get go, they typically fail in short order. If the solid state device is "good" it can last for years without a problem.

Any company that won't stand behind their product line is a good company to steer clear of.  InstaPark may be the brand or model, but who was the manufacturer? Chances are it was produced in China and they just slap their decal on the box. It is a story we see all too often.

Interestingly I heard the same complaint from an engineer in Russia. He said, "We don't build anything in Russia any more. Its all imported from China and its all junk!" Sound familiar?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SaintsChamp517 Date 03-17-2018 18:46
Thanks- I'll keep that in mind next time. They got me once but never again. I'll stick to the brands I know and trust. Welding is an art and the Welding hood is just an extension of the Welder so I'll stick to my trusty Lincoln Passive shade hood. Thanks for the feedback. Happy Welding...~
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / InstaPark ADF Welding hood