Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Stainless Steel, flux or back purge?
- - By mtlmster (**) Date 04-02-2018 16:47
How is the best way to weld stainless steel and to have a good looking bead on the front and back side of the joint? I know some people say back purging with argon is best, while others claim that this powdered flux converted into a paste flux works good.

What do the experts say to a beginner concerning stainless steel welding?

I have my own opinions but want to here what other welders are doing.

Thanks
Steve
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-02-2018 19:44
Solar Flux as a backing for stainless CJP welding is tricky and has a very long list of limitations.  Solar flux will never produce a "good looking" bead on the back side of a weld... ever.

If you are a beginner and you have access to both... practice both.   Welding stainless GTAW with flux backing is very different from welding stainless with argon backing.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-03-2018 02:34
What he said X 2.
Parent - - By cabfab Date 04-10-2018 13:52
I'm on a project at a paper mill. We have large piping that makes purge very expensive. They qualified a GTAW flux cored wire (R308LT1-5) that allows open root stainless without purging. Not the best looking of weld, but the tensiles on 308L  PQR exceeded 88,000.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-10-2018 15:11
I've used a flux cored wire for the root  welding large bore schedule 40 304 SS.  The internal root face had a sooty, blackened, crusty hard surface to it, not dissimilar to solar flux roots.  It required a lot of grinding of the root on the outside to remove "wagon tracks" of the flux cored material before doing a hot pass.  Any impurities missed in the grinding produced a material not unlike charred Swiss cheese.  The contractor hadn't bothered to qualify the procedure before having us build many hundreds of feet of process piping using scores of expensive fittings, they attempted to do that post construction.  I'd parted company with them by then.  The flux cored wire saved a lot of argon but I think that's all it saved them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Stainless Steel, flux or back purge?