Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PQR / WPS for Automatic / Robot Welding
- - By VR46 Date 04-04-2018 05:00
I have a concern regarding qualifying PQR for Automatic welding using Robot. The standard to use is AWS . Base material - Aluminium (AA1370). Process GMAW.Groove - Single Bevel . Kindly help me with the standards to refer for preparing this and also the standards for Welding Operator Qualification.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-04-2018 11:09
Hi VR46,
I recommend you take a good long look at AWS D1.2  Structural Welding Code - Aluminum.

Reply back you have specific questions regarding procedure and welder qualification.
Parent - - By VR46 Date 04-05-2018 13:02
Dear Tyrone,
In my case I have a qualified welding procedure as per AWS D1.2  2014 . In PQR of the said WPS the process is GMAW semi automatic type.Now my question is can I use the same WPS for automatic welding provided that there is no other changes in essential variables. So that  i only need to qualify a welding operator and need not prepare a new WPS with automatic welding.

Please check and advise me with reference to clause that restrict or allows me to do so.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 04-13-2018 20:29
Hi VR46,

I don't have a copy of D1.2 available, but in the qualification clause, there is a table of essential variables for requalification of a procedure.  One of those essential variables should require requalification when changing from semi-automatic process to automatic process.
Parent - By wishnu1003 Date 05-09-2018 02:32
Dear sir,

I also deal with massproduction steel frame (exp: 3000 set/day) using many units if robotic welding GMAW. Operator jobs is only set the parts (put the parts in jig), so Operator are not need Welding Certified.
But, the engineer who Teach and set the parameters need to be Certified with Weling Procedures.

Best regards
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PQR / WPS for Automatic / Robot Welding