Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1_2015-Single V Butt FP Weld-Capping/Reinforcment
- - By Nallavan Date 04-11-2018 13:31
Dear Experts

Code- AWS D1.1_2015

Activity- Welding Operator Qualification.

Material- ABS EH 36 x 25.4mm(thk) x Double V with 1/3 + 2/3 Groove Joint.

Weld Process- SAW/ Weld Position- 1G

As in welded condition, Capping width noted-30mm( Toe to Toe)- Acceptable?

AWS D1.1- Restrict Capping/Reinforcement height as shown in Table 5.8 & 5.9.

But nothing mentioned about allowable Single-V/Double V Butt FP Weld  Capping/Reinforcement width.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-11-2018 13:43
See last entry on Table 3.6
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2018 17:38
Perhaps I am missing something? We are limiting this discussion to welder operator performance qualification aren't we? If that is the case, clause 4.9 lists the visual acceptance criteria applied to the visual evaluation of the test coupon for both procedure qualification and performance qualification.

If the WPS is qualified per clause 4, the limitations of clause 3 do not apply. For the most part, a WPS qualified by testing is qualified for the conditions listed by the PQR. If the width of the weld bead is listed as 6 inches on the PQR, the WPS is qualified for individual beads up to and including 6 inches.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-16-2018 21:06
Nope, it was me that missed it.  At least, I think when I re-read the OP and your response I read it wrong the first time.
Parent - - By Nallavan Date 04-21-2018 04:53
Dear Sir
I was away for some tie due to oversea assignment.

I need expert advise if  Reinforcement/Capping width( 30mm ) acceptable or not?

Code only restrict Reinforcement/Capping Height only. Code say nothing about allowable width.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-21-2018 13:32
The inspection is limited to the weld attributes listed by the applicable code.

For instance: ASME Section VIII does not include criteria for undercut. Therefore, the inspector cannot evaluate undercut and the welds cannot be rejected for undercut. The exception would be for those instances where the manufacture's quality program included criteria for undercut. Remember, the manufacture's quality program can be more stringent than the code, but it cannot be less stringent than the applicable code.

Back to the undercut; while the inspection criteria of Section VIII does not address undercut specifically, it does have a few words and criteria for "base metal thinning due to the manufacturing process." One would use that criteria for evaluating the undercut without using the word "undercut" in the report.

As for your situation, there is no criteria for the width of the cover layer if the governing standard is AWS D1.1, affectionately referred to as the "New Farm Code." If the width of the cover layer is a problem, the contractor can address it in the quality program or the Owner can address it in the project specifications. The visual inspector must evaluate the welds based on the criteria provided. It is not the inspector's prerogative to "make up" the inspection criteria based on personal preference or based on personal opinion.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1_2015-Single V Butt FP Weld-Capping/Reinforcment