Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Clause 4.11.3 CJP apply to PJP weld
- By Somkiat Date 04-12-2018 02:07
I have qualified WPS for CJP Groove weld test in accordance with table 4.2 (SAW process)

and I will applies to weld on PJP weld. As per table 4.2 note "d" which states CJP groove weld qualification on any thickness shall qualify any size of PJP groove weld for any thickness (see 4.11.3)

In reference to clause 4.11.3, which states: when a WPS has been qualified for a CJP groove weld and applied to the welding condition of a PJP groove weld, three (3) macroetch cross section test specimens shall be required to demonstrate that the specified weld size shall equaled or exceeded.

Then I have prepare PJP test coupon as detail below
- SAW process
- Single bevel groove weld butt joint PJP, groove depth 3/4" (material thickness 1") with groove angle 45 degree.
- perform 3 macroetch as per clause 4.11.3. The result is weld size (E) are more than groove depth (S)

My quest is what is the thickness range and groove depth/ weld size qualifies for PJP groove weld?

My understand that WPS can applied to weld on any size of PJP groove weld for any thickness as per table 4.2 note "d"

Please advise. because our client request to perform 3 macro for each PJP weld size on project.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 Clause 4.11.3 CJP apply to PJP weld