Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ST-ST 307 si welding wire
- - By ashraf kassem (*) Date 04-12-2018 14:11
hi
i was  searching  for shielding gas for st-st 307 Si welding wire and i found that there is many mixture for this wire like (98% Ar & 2% O2 ) this the most common mixture but i found other mixture like ( 98% Ar & 2% Co2 ) and ( 99.95% Ar ) So what i want is which mixture is better and what is the parameters that i should put in my consideration when i choose the shielding gas ........
Hint.... every mixture of those mixtures has different operating parameter
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-13-2018 13:01
Hey Ashraf,
As you state, 98/2 is a common mixture.
It's a good place to start.  Weld up some samples, cut them up and look to see if it's acceptable.
If you need more penetration or fusion, look to other mixes.

Tyrone
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-15-2018 17:17
To be frank, I was waiting to see where this thread was going. Type 307Si is not a stainless filler metal I have experienced with. I looked it up in my ASM book on stainless steels and I didn't see it listed, so I went on line.

It belongs to the family of 18-8, but with manganese (6%) added. Interesting. Here is a link to a web site for Washington Alloys. http://www.weldingwire.com/Images/Interior/documentlibrary/307%20si.pdf

They list the typical parameters for GMAW and GTAW.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ST-ST 307 si welding wire