Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Submittals for inclusion to the Farm Code
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-20-2018 15:57
To Whom it May Concern,
   I have some things that I would like to submit for inclusion on the next revision of the "Farm Code: The Other Big Red Book".

#1: Don't worry about severe warping on 48" flanges. That's why we bought the cheap ones from China. They are soft enough that they will pull enough to seal. Inside edge of flange flush with straight edge. Outside edge has 3/8" up to almost 1/2" gap consistently (4" distance). :lol:

#2: Hey John, we are going to only hydro test these vessels after epoxy coating has been applied. There is no sense in wasting time and money doing it twice. Call the AI and get him set up for Monday morning to witness this. :eek: NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, not gonna happen. :cool:

#3: Welders tested on 3G plate can weld on 12" pipe in flat, horizontal and vertical positions. Actually had an inspector with 10 years of welding experience on ASME pipe and vessels with an additional 6+ years as CWI inspecting ASME pipe and vessels tell me this. I disagreed and he stood firm. I then politely asked if the code drawings that referred to ASME section 9 as well as table QW 461.9 were wrong or just to be disregarded. All this through email of course because Industrial Amnesia is a real thing. Yep, like I said, we need to either reposition, test some welders or stop letting them weld those particular items.

Just a few of many Farm Code worthy issues and answers experienced in a short period of time. more to follow later.

That vessel department would not listen and in under a years time lost two major customers and went into full meltdown mode. ME? I watched it burn in the rear view mirror.

Quite the interesting experience.

jrw159 :cool:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-20-2018 18:12
Better to leave them burning than go up in flames with them.

Brent
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-20-2018 18:41
Brent,
   That's the truth and believe me, I didn't loose one single wink of sleep over it.

It is kind of a bitter sweet thing though. On one hand I feel bad for the welders that put their heart in to it trying to make things work but also I can't help but smile a little thinking of the others that kept punching holes in the sinking ship who are now in the hot seat. And it has just begun to get uncomfortable for those people. 

jrw159
Parent - - By FarmCode (*) Date 04-22-2018 01:35
U   R not the boss of da Farm Code!

Remember that we are volunteerz!

I would make the revisions but my sharpie is outta ink.

Besidez, a 3G done twice = 6G right?...... and dats da same as a Arkansas Bell hole ....   so the dude is good to go.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 04-23-2018 12:25
Of course I am not the boss of the Farm Code. :lol: That why I used the key word "submittal" for inclusion. :wink:

I have been away for a spell but I believe 803056 would be one of the people to approve my request. :lol:

3G done twice equals 6G... Sounds good to me. And it rhymes.

jrw159 :cool:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Submittals for inclusion to the Farm Code