Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Unusual Weld Spec in the Pipe Fab Shop
- By ZCat (***) Date 04-21-2018 01:33
Like to get some opinions on this job spec we have going on at the moment. Something I've never come across in 37 years of pipe welding.
I work in a big pipe fab shop, we do pipe jobs for refineries and power plants, etc.
We just started a job where all the caps have to be an odd number of beads; either 1, 3 or 5. And the bead sequence has to be 1 left, 2 right, 3 middle. I think I understand why they want to do that, possibly to keep the cap width an even overlap of the bevel on both sides, but I can't figure out why they specify why the number of beads has to be an odd number. That do also say the cap should be no more than 1/8th inch wider than the bevel.
I was just wondering if any of you have ever seen this and can shed some light on it.
They want anything .5 wall and thicker has to have a 3 bead cap. It's kind of hard to get three beads in that space with .045 DualShield and have it look decent.
BTW, most everything is rolled out 1G on a positioner.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Unusual Weld Spec in the Pipe Fab Shop