Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Welding Brass?
- - By rangerod (**) Date 05-29-2003 20:29
I would like to know if anyone has TIG welded brass before. The task would not need to be terribly structurally sound just to repair brass coupling. If you have any info on setting, gases ect.. it would be appreciated if this is even feasable. Thanks.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-29-2003 21:37
I am not well experienced in TIG so I hope someone else will tackle the how-to part for you. I was just wondering what does your coupling do? Would replacement it be a safer and cheaper alternative?
Otherwise I would look at silver soldering it.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 05-29-2003 22:03
Its just a low pressure water coupling on on old water truck. I know it can be silver soldered or brazed I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with TIG welding brass. If it can be done with TIG I want to try it. I did it in the past but it did not come out very good maybe someone else has done it before with better results, just curious.
Parent - By jer (**) Date 05-30-2003 02:39
I have tig welded brass a few times now. I use an ampco 10 filler rod from weldmold. Welds on DC,heat transfers like aluminum so make sure you go at it hot enough and I noticed that the weld was best when rod stayed in puddle and let it melt in there. Also first pass seemed best everytime I tried to go over weld and build up area more it did not look as good. I was repairing a cracked part so I v grooved out crack and filled Like I said it seemed best with one good pass.

J P Streets Welding
Parent - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 05-30-2003 03:42
I built a tank (for some doctor's trolling motor for his canoe) out of brass years ago and I remember it was like welding aluminum except that it was very hard to see what was going on in the weld puddle. After welding, the welds were ground down and it cleaned up very nicely and held pressure no problem. It was kinda like very dirty aluminum. The fumes from welding brass are extremely toxic. For that reason alone, I would braze the coupling. That's just my opinion though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG Welding Brass?