Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Older documents with expired CWI dates
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2018 15:38
Anyone else have to educate people on the AWS certification process regularly? People, my certs are not expired, use the AWS cert checker online!

I spent time out of my day again today trying to convince someone reviewing welder's certs that were over 3 years old that the welder is still certified and the WPSs are still good even though my stamp was expired on his documents. I even sent a picture of my renewed wallet cards and now they(contractor) want the welder bring his documents back to me to re-stamp....Nope, ain't gonna do it. Nothing wrong with the documents that are in his possession. I was certified at the time that the documents were written, and continuity logs that the welder has kept (weekly)shows that his continuity has never lapsed from the time I gave him the test several years ago. I told the welder to tell the contractor to call AWS and let them explain to him why the documents are still good, I'm sick of educating people on this process.

I've been a CWI for almost 20 years now so there are a lot of documents with an expired CWI stamp on them, so I guess that's why I get all of these calls. Never had a problem until those pesky dates got added several years back. I was resistant to using the new stamps because I could see these questions coming before I got the first call, but I caved in. I know it was to keep the shady CWI certs to a minimum, but its been a pain for the rest of us.

OK, rant over
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2018 19:26
We can cure illiteracy, but there's no cure for stupid.

Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-26-2018 10:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-26-2018 14:15
My brother-in-law went into a bank a few years ago to cash a check.  He handed them his drivers license from that state and it was expired as he had moved and actually had a drivers license from his new address.  Used the old one because that was the state he was in and his in-laws still lived in the house where the address was. 

They weren't going to cash the check because his Drivers' License was expired.  He argued that it was still valid ID.  They said, 'but it is expired.'  He YELLED, 'Oh NO, what am I going to do?  I don't know who I am anymore.  This is terrible.  I don't even know where I live now if my ID has expired.' 

They ended up cashing his check.  I think they just wanted to get him out of there.  But, the point is made. He wasn't driving.  Only using it as ID and they said it had expired. 

How unrealistic, ridiculous, stupid, brainwashed to total government control, are these people?  Just because our cert expires doesn't mean everything we stamped has expired.  Welder Performance Qualification Records/Certs and WPS's don't expire just because the CWI who signed it and stamped it has passed a renewal period. 

Wow, stamp one today and my cert expires tomorrow.  Someone just paid a lot of useless money.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2018 15:46
These people aren't as stupid as they appear to be.

The person that married my wife and I is dead, so our marriage is null because he is no longer a judge.

My CWI is no longer valid because the person that signed the paperwork is no longer President of AWS.

My ASNT Level III certifications are no longer valid because that person is no longer employed by ASNT.

My bank loans are voided because the bank president retired and is no longer an employee of the bank.

My driver's license in no longer valid because the person that signed the paperwork was arrested for impersonating and representing herself as a legal immigrant, is now deported, and was fired by the State DMV. Like your brother, I don't know who I am or where I live. Damn, that doesn't even have anything to do with my driver's license, but I'm safe because the doctor that signed my commitment papers lost his license to practice medicine when he was convicted of molesting a dog. That case was tossed out of court when it was discovered the dog tag was expired and they couldn't convince the jury the beast was actually a dog. The doctor still lost his license when it was shown that the college president that signed the doctor's diploma was no longer alive, thus the diploma was void.

I kind of like where this is going.

You don't have to be an idiot to succeed in this crazy world, but it doesn't hurt.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-26-2018 20:30
LOL...I love all of the sarcasm dripping through this thread....:twisted:

I've made all sorts of people upset with me this week....so much so that one company is bringing guys back in to work Saturday and Sunday to fix all of the welding that turned down today. The contractor has a crane due to be onsite early Monday morning, so they want me to travel down to this shop (who is reworking the welds on the end plates on the rafter frames) and re-inspect these pieces before they load them up Sunday evening to go back to the job.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-27-2018 13:15
Sadly, common sense is not that common anymore today

Our education system shares a lot of blame for not teaching our youth.

School administrators are removing analog clocks from the classrooms because kids do not know how to read an analog clock

Kids are not taught how to write in cursive, and cannot read cursive writing.  What do they use for a signature?

Teens behind the fast food checkout counter cannot make correct change

New hire "machinists" here cannot tell me the decimal equivalent of 3/8"

don't get me started how they are teaching my 3rd grade granddaughter to do simple subtraction  (common core math)

We are failing to educate our youth in so many ways
Parent - By Maggs47 (**) Date 04-27-2018 19:46
Its not just today. This country has been reducing funding for public education for so long, trying to cram more and more information in, and doing it all on the backs of teachers who are so dedicated that despite being underpaid, they still buy supplies like notebooks and pencils for their students. No wonder these same teachers are now holding protests and walkouts to say that enough is enough. Funding and curriculum both need an overhaul, but doing one without the other is a recipe for failure. We'll continue to see this until we actually take education seriously in this country.
Parent - - By AA-RON Date 05-08-2018 15:36
Are your welder's continuity logs up to date?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-08-2018 16:12
Hi AA-RON,
Yes, the welder maintains weekly logs. Well within period of effectiveness of 6 months.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Older documents with expired CWI dates