Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR & Welder Qualification Mechanical Testing
- - By koby2270 Date 04-26-2018 10:28
I have a question about performing mechanical testing at our facility. We have the capabilities to do so. I am a current CWI. We mostly use D1.1 but also use D1.2, D1.6, and D17.1.

Can I mechanically test my companies PQR's? If so, can I say on the PQR that it was tested IAW AWS D1.1, etc.?

Can I certify our welders and give them a certificate saying they are certified IAW AWS D1.1, etc.?

My company advertises that we employ AWS certified welders, which we do, but I would like to do all of our testing in house. I'm in the process of becoming ASNT ACCP level II certified, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2018 15:28
The codes do not require your employer to utilize a third party to witness the qualification tests, nor do they require a third party to perform the mechanical testing of the test assemblies. That being said, there are other considerations:

1) does the person performing the mechanical testing have the necessary training to perform the required mechanical tests?
2) are the machines calibrated and in good working order?
3) are there traceability requirement for the equipment being used?
4) what standards (ASTM or others) are you using to perform the mechanical testing?

Don't overlook the NDE requirements. If anything other than visual NDE is required, it must be completed and passed before slicing and dicing for the mechanical testing.

If your employer is comfortable performing the testing in-house and if your clients are satisfied the testing is perform properly and the test data is accurate, the codes do not prohibit the use of in-house personnel and equipment.

All the being said, don't assume your CWI credential qualifies you to do the testing. The CWI credential only certifies the holder as a visual welding inspector, nothing more.

Parent - - By koby2270 Date 04-26-2018 19:00
Al, Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to see what I would have to do to bring as much testing in house as I can. Currently I have the capability to perform macro etch and bend tests. Typically I'll have a sample welded, do a visual inspection, cut and etch, then bend. Once I'm satisfied with the results, I send another sample to the test facility for qualification.

1) What training is required to perform mechanical testing?
2) The machines are calibrated.
3) We have records for all of our equipment.
4) What standards should I use? Most of our welding is done IAW AWS D1.1.

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2018 19:07
There are ASTM standards for conducting mechanical tests such as the reduced section tensile test, CVN, etc. ASM has courses you could take to provide training on the subjects of mechanical testing.

If your employer has the equipment, why not do it in-house?

Parent - - By koby2270 Date 04-26-2018 19:17
I don't want to qualify a PQR in house and say it was qualified IAW AWS D1.1 if I'm not qualified to do so. We're also not an accredited test facility. Do we have to be an accredited test facility to qualify a PQR?

When it comes to certifying welders, our company advertises that we employ AWS certified welders. If I'm not qualified to give them an AWS certification then I have to send their tests out.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2018 19:58
Again, few codes require 3rd party involvement when qualifying a WPS or a welder.

You will be qualifying and certifying the welders in accordance with a code, be it AWS, ASME, or another code if you do the testing in-house. There is nothing wrong with that approach unless your client specifies something different in their project specification. If the client requires a 3rd party to witness and to perform the mechanical testing, then the client should be willing to bear the cost of qualifying the welders or procedures.

There are a few state DOTs and a few municipalities that require the welders be qualified by an ATF. If the appropriate fees are paid to AWS the welder will receive a "certification" from AWS. In that case, the welders are AWS "certified." Some codes will not accept certification by anyone other than the employer.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 04-26-2018 19:29
As stated in plenty of places on this forum and the other member forum, be careful of the word Certified when referencing welders.

AWS Certified Welders have to be tested in an ATF (AWS Testing Facility).

The in-house testing for welders is to 'qualify' them for welding for your company in the specified welding process according to the specified code.

To qualify WPSs/PQRs, you need to perform not only the side (or Root/Face) bend tests, but also the Reduced Section Tension Test (for D1.1 CJP Groove Welds). Might run into some issues cutting and testing part of the Weld test and sending a section off to a lab. Seems an all our nothing approach would be better. Other than the small extra cost and time, I'd prefer sending out the PQR/WPS samples to a lab for testing. Although, I do qualify all of our welders in-house, except for D1.5 - Fracture Critical (that goes out to a lab).
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR & Welder Qualification Mechanical Testing

Powered by mwForum 2.29.2 © 1999-2013 Markus Wichitill