Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Corrosion resistance overlay Qualification
- By MOURAD EL ZANAT Date 04-26-2018 10:41
Hi there, I am a long time reader and it is my first time to post here.

I am about to qualify CRA overlay of 625 on a 4130 material , automatic GTAW. ASME BPVC section IX doesn't require any full weld metal tensile or impact specimens to qualify CRA as per table QW-453. But API 6A and 16A require such tests to be done in order to qualify a load bearing CRA. Section IX and API codes don't specify any method to prepare a test coupon that can cover these requirements, or even how to extract them from the coupon. My test coupon is right below 1" thickness and 12" x 12" in size. The weld metal to be deposited is three layers, each of almost 1 mm in thickness with total of 3.2 mm thick. How can I test the weld metal mechanical properties in this case?   

I am fairly new to these requirements I am used only to normal CRA qualification according to Section IX. If anyone have dealt with this before I would be grateful. Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Corrosion resistance overlay Qualification