Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Limitations
- - By dewh0002 Date 04-28-2018 00:21
I am a CWI for AWS D1.1.  I have been asked to certify some welds to different codes.  In particular, AWS D1.2 “Structural Aluminum”, AWS D1.3 “Structural Welding Code – Sheet Steel” & AWS D3.6 “Underwater Welding Code”.  For AWS D1.2, I assume I would have to get the endorsement before I certify any aluminum welds, correct?  What about AWS D1.3 & D3.6?  Can I certify those welds with my current CWI certifications as long as I follow the respective codes?  I couldn't find any information on endorsements for those codes.

Thanks
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-28-2018 06:45
Hi dewh0002

UMMM unless there has been some drastic change to the CWI certification I am personally unaware of ......

You have a AWS CWI endorsement/certification? Yes?!

You can inspect any weld under AWS issued codes up to and including API 1104 without any restriction and ASME as well but I think their are a few things with ASME that are a little more complicated.  You do not need an endorsement on your card stating that you have tested to d1.2  You are a CWI and the purpose of that certificate/testing is "proof" that you have the ability to interpret a variety of welding codes and standards.  Not only that but it is also "proof" that you possess the ethical responsibility and wherewithal to make judgement and recommendations to your client concerning the quality or lack thereof in relation to meeting the specified code.  "MY words not the AWS" thank you very much.  The CWI is a certification of ability just like a welding certification, the difference is it is a certification strictly of your knowledge and ability to read and interpret.  I apologize if this seemed like a rant...I go on like that sometimes.

Yes grab the codebook, understand it, apply it, make some money.  BTW it is very common to make the client supply or make avaliable the latest edition of whatever code to you.  If you have questions about codes that are new to you, probably a good idea to get on the "new" AWS forum.  Al Moore and Lawrence probably have their respective hands full so to speak but I would hear them well if they have something to say.

Good Luck
Tommy
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-28-2018 13:23
You are NOT a CWI for D1.1.   You are a CWI.  The only thing that restricts your ability to inspect to ANY code is Customer requirements and on occasion local jurisdictions; like LA or some state DOT's. 

Tommy gave it to you pretty straight.  The only thing I would suggest is that you need your own copy of any code you are working to even if the employer supplies you a copy to work from. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2018 15:32
Back to the difference between qualification and certification.

Generally, the third party (you) witness the welding of the coupon and then evaluate the coupon by visual, volumetric NDE, bend tests, etc. The result of the evaluation is recorded on the performance test record. The third party signs the test record. I sign the test records I issue as the test witness and I sign for the tests that I performed. With that, the welder has been qualified. However, as the qualifier, I have no idea what welding the welder will be performing, what materials, what position will he or she be welding in, etc. In short, I do not assign the welder to any particular job and I have no control over what the welder does.

At the bottom of the performance report is a place the welder's employer signs attesting that the report is correct and true. That is the "certification", i.e., the employer's signature. The codes make the employer responsible for ensuring the welders in his employ are properly qualified for the work, i.e., the employer signs the performance test record. The employer is responsible for assigning the welder to jobs that his is appropriately qualified to do. It is the employer's responsibility to know what the welder is qualified to weld. It is the employer that is liable for the welder's work. Should a weld fail for any number of reasons, the employer bears legal responsibility and liability.

I often wonder if people "certifying" the welder fully recognize the potential liability involved.

The CWI credential is a certification that the individual is qualified to perform visual examinations of welds. It does not limit the CWI to a particular code. It is the employer's responsibility to ensure the CWI has the experience to use the particular welding standard or to perform the assigned work. The CWI has an ethical obligation to take on tasks that he is capable of performing. If the CWI is uncomfortable with the assignment, he should inform the employer and defer the work to someone else. That's the way it is suppose to work. In the real world the CWI does what he is directed to do. Just remember, if anything goes wrong the employer will throw the CWI under the bus and never look back. It is the CWI that bears the possibility of answering to that Certification Committee if charges are initiated because the CWI took on responsibilities for which he or she is not qualified to fulfill.

Good luck. The other posts also offer sound advice.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Limitations