Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where can I find welding jobs to bid on?
- - By bjh76 Date 05-30-2003 16:02
I am interested finding welding jobs to bid on on the internet. They would have to be ones that I can work on here at my shop in South Dakota. I want the kind that can be shipped, I'm not mobile now. I have a great reputation here and I am a very hard worker. Does anyone know where to look for an opportunity like this? I know that there are some because there are some guys doing it in a town around here, but I can't figure out where to look. Thank you for any help that anyone can give me.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-30-2003 17:23
How big of a project can you handle at home? I'll keep you in mind if I hear of something and pass it along.
John Wright
Parent - - By bjh76 Date 06-03-2003 01:02
We can weld aluminum, stainless steel, and steel. Right now we do repairs from the smallest thing like a bracket to the biggest thing like industrial equipment. We are looking into getting some production welding jobs. We have a fair size shop and we are ready for any size job.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-03-2003 01:32
check into government jobs and military jobs. i have no idea how to find information on any of those jobs that are bidded on for the gov't, but i'd sure like to know! i just know that there were tons of jobs being contracted out while i was in the Air Force.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-03-2003 02:17
I'm sorry but the people that can effectively answer the question, won't. It's like going into the local tire store and asking them to tell you where and how to sell tires, you will only get funny looks. Business in todays economy is a hard road, don't expect your potential competetors to tell you the secrets, and people not in the business can't tell you, they don't know.

regards,
JTMcC.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-03-2003 13:24
bjh76,
JTMc is right to an extent. Most fabricators will look at you as competition. But most companies have work that they don't like to do, and will sub it out if the price makes sense to them. See if you can get some of their subcontracted work to start out with.

What I would do is to put together some kind of information brochure telling about your capabilities and past experiences. Spend some time and effort making it look clean, modern, and professional. Then send it, or better yet take it, to some construction companies and fabricators that are bigger than you are. Be sure to dress in conservative business attire for any interviews, you need to look like experienced, down-to-earth, professionals.
You will have to convince them that your work is at least equal to what they would do. But if you can get your foot in the door, you'll be viewed as a resource more than as competition.

Knock on as many doors as you can even if it doesn't look like much on the outside. You never know where the seeds you spread around will start to grow.

Hope it works out well for you
Chet Guilford
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 06-03-2003 17:03
Another place to look is your local chamber of commerce. They have breakfasts & dinners you can attend to press the flesh with local business owners. Like CHGuilford said dress for success.
Parent - By rpoche (*) Date 06-04-2003 04:53
bjh76,

One way to drum up business is to notice steel fabricated products you may see while out and about that are in your area of expertise and capability (production amounts, etc). If you feel you can fabricate such a product, contact the "manufacturer" and see if they have an Outsource Buyer. This is the one who will evaluate and place order with outside shops for fabricated products, etc.. They may let you bid the product and who knows from there.

Another way would be to search on R&D facilities - these people are always coming up with some prototype concoctions and may use outside welders. I once built a F15 jet "arcade game", which would acomodate 2 people in a capsule, the unit sold for over $250,000 as a "one off".

Good Luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where can I find welding jobs to bid on?