Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spray Arc
- - By jfwi (*) Date 05-30-2003 20:44
In discussions with other CWI's they remarked that the spray mode of transfer changes the charactistics of the ER70S-6. Can anyone show me anything that will back this up?

Jerry
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 05-31-2003 22:09
Off hand I can't think of a reason why it would change unless welding high carbon steels, dilution problems.

Brian Maas
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-01-2003 00:50
the only difference between spray and short circuit transfer is the voltage, amperage, and the gas mixture. usually a 2% oxygen mix w/ argon and CO2 are needed. other than that, there is no difference.
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 06-02-2003 19:30
Hi Jerry

If you mean that the weld deposit has different properties, then yes it is possible because when welding spray transfer you generally are adding a lot more heat and dilution than is the case with dip transfer. This has consequences to the weld.

Another possibility is that with a change in the shielding gas, which is typical when changing between dip and spray transfer, there will be slight changes in the chemical composition of the weld.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-03-2003 03:33
I have nothing to quote but the fact that spray produces smaller droplets means that more of the weld metal has been directly exposed to the shielding gas. CO2 has the potential to deplete the carbon in the steel (CO2+C->2CO). The oxygen in tri-mix could do the same (2C+O2->2CO). Of course the higher rate of deposit could reverse the effect since the time of exposure is less. I have seen (on this site I think) results of experiments that indicate pure CO2 depletes carbon more than 75% CO2 25% A and thus results in lower strength in the deposit. All in all the processes are different enough to almost guarantee some difference in result. Good experiments here for somebody who needs to write a paper.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spray Arc