Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D17.1 Aluminum Procedure Qualification
- - By mwilliams93 (*) Date 05-14-2018 17:56
Howdy,

I am looking for any help, tips, tricks, etc on how to get past this D17.1 procedure test nightmare.

I am trying to qualify a 6061-T6 aluminum groove weld to D17.1 standards. Our biggest thing is porosity is killing us. We've been attempting to keep everything clean, from the material, tig rod, welding gloves, etc. but nothing seems to be working.

Quick run down:
D17.1
1/4" 6061-T6 Aluminum
GTAW
1.5" Pyrex gas lens
3/32" 4043 Filler rod

Thanks in advance for the help!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-14-2018 18:17
Tell us a little more and you can have a bit more specific response.

Say something about the surface prep... Media, abrasive, carbide,, whatever

Solvent for cleaning ?  when it's applied?

Joint configuration, bevel ?

Power supply, waveform, balance, asymmetric?

Also tell us about the RT report on size, location and amount of indications.
Parent - - By mwilliams93 (*) Date 05-14-2018 21:32
We've tried a double V groove as well as a single. The results were about the same. More lack of fusion on the single V. The bevels were at 22.5. Making the groove a 45.

The joints where prepped on a mill. and when we back gouged the other side, we used an aluminum specific carbide bit.

Solvent for cleaning I believe was cleaner used for PT. Dynaflux is the brand. We applied the cleaner to the test pieces before they were milled, before the welds were applied, and also on the filler rods.

We are set up on a brand new Miller Dynasty 400. I believe squarewave was used.

RT reports show a clustered porosity towards the end of the test plates. Tests plates are 12 inches long by the way.
Parent - - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 05-16-2018 21:39 Edited 05-16-2018 21:42
What is your gas flow? And the coupons were cleaned with what? Could leave a residue.
Parent - - By mwilliams93 (*) Date 05-17-2018 11:40
Gas flow is around 35 CFH straight off of a tank.

Coupons were cleaned with a Dye Penetrant cleaner and a clean cloth.
Parent - By TerryTerzian (*) Date 05-17-2018 15:41
I am going out on a limb here but your gas flow for a 1.5" gas lens is light to me. My simplified formula for gas flow CFH is 2 times the cup size, to 3 times the cup size, with 2.5 times the cup size being the median. This formula was derived from following manufacture charts and my years of experience and has not failed me yet. Anyhow your cup dimension translates to a #24 cup. The median gas flow for me would be 24x2.5=60CFH(with the range being 48cfh minimum to 72cfh maximum).  I would up your gas cfh to at least 48 for a #24 cup.

And another thought. I don't know what your developer solvent is comprised of but I either use acetone with a bake to dry off the absorbed water, or chemical etch(phosphoric acid) and bake to dry.  Lastly I dry file the joint edges. You could be contaminating the filler as well if your  solvent leaves a film.

I have never used any cup bigger than a #12 cup on my 6061 1/4" test plates. And I design the test parameters with a double bevel v groove joint single sided weld. Your Dynasty400 definately has enough grunt at 400 amps and the correct program settings to penetrate 1/4", especially if adding 25% helium. My Dynastys use the default AC settings but put waveform to AdvancedSquareWave and frequency to 200 to constrict the arc which keeps the arc within the gas coverage. I also include a 200 degree F. preheat to kickstart the melt.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-17-2018 13:48
Groove angles for aluminum alloys are typically more generous than those used for carbon steel. I typically use 75 degrees for V-groove and if less, I increase the root opening when backing is used.

You mentioned you back gouged the second side, but did they excavate deep enough? Often times the aluminum will contract as it cools and if the root opening was zero to start, it will contract to the point where the root face can't be seen. I've had it close up to the point penetrant didn't reveal the joint.

If the back gouge is deep enough, it will usually open up to reveal a cavity at the root of the groove on the first side. If the back gouge doesn't reveal the root cavity on the first side, you simply didn't go deep enough. I usually specify the back gouge depth be equal to the thickness of the base metal minus the depth of the groove on the first side, and then go 1/8 inch deeper. That usually is deep enough unless there are clear signs of incomplete fusion. Then, you need to go deeper.

Example:

1/2 plate thickness with a 3/8 inch bevel depth. The back gouge would be at least:

(1/2 - 3/8) + 1/8 = 1/4 inch back gouge depth.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-17-2018 16:31 Edited 05-17-2018 16:52
In honor of Henry, I present to you a wall of original text.

Two typical causes of subsurface porosity in aluminum,  hydrogen bubbles and oxides at fusion lines.

Since your porosity you say is at the end of each weld it's more likely hydrogen is your issue.

Molten aluminum is especially soluble to hydrogen pickup... When the weld begins to freeze the hydrogen is forced out. However if there is too much Hydrogen in the solution, some may remain trapped and appear as very fine porosity.. very fine.

As heat increases and weld pools expand, more hydrogen may enter the weld pool... This is why GTAW of aluminum must be performed hot and fast... This is also why preheat is not recommended if the welding power supply can produce a weld pool quickly (your Dynasty can do this)...   The initial arc strike and high thermal conductivity of aluminum will eliminate any residual moisture on a properly prepped workpiece, by the time a weld pool is formed the work piece and weld area simply cannot have any moisture on it.

Often the welder in manual GTAW will "slow down" toward the end of the assembly. Slower travel speed equals greater heat input, add to this the fact that aluminum is a SUPER FAST thermal conductor and you have a scenario where heat is building as the weld progresses (naturally) and the operatory may slow down travel speed and exacerbate the situation. The heat runs in the direction of travel and continues to build, at the end of the weldment there is no place for it to go, so it grows hotter and hotter.  Meaning a greater amount of hydrogen may be absorbed, possibly so much that when the weld solidifies it is not driven out.  This is why you often see very good GTAW welders greatly reduce the weld current via foot pedal at the end of the weld while keeping up or even increasing the travel speed !

Another factor may be associated with operator technique, this is the often typical change in torch angle from almost perpendicular to the work to an exaggerated "push" angle. Meaning the welder may turn the wrist to finish the last inch or two, thus changing the work angle of the torch.  When the angle becomes exaggerated, the weld pool becomes tear-drop shaped rather than round and offers more area for hydrogen absorption.  The exaggerated angle may also reduce the efficiency of gas coverage allowing for humidity and increased oxides to be absorbed into the weld pool.

A positive welder technique is to use the largest filler wire diameter the welder is comfortable with.  The larger mass of filler will help notably to cool the weld pool...  Keeping a very low dip angle when adding the wire is as important as keeping the tip of the filler constantly under the inert gas shield.  Pulling the wire out of the inert shield will add oxides every dip... Having a radical angle on wire feed often causes the end of the filler rod to ball up and can cause problems as well.

I'm skeptical about any advantage to that very large cup.  As Terry mentioned, a typical size has been proven effective over time.  I see that supersized cup as a stumbling block to keeping a consistent electrode angle for the entire length of a long weld.  Plus:: I'm not sure about the latest revision, but if nozzle/cup size is an essential variable, you are stuck with the big cup for tight spots

Lastly...  AC waveforms available with Dynasty open the door to some problems if misunderstood.   Operators who select a balance greater than about 70% EN take a risk of reducing the "cleaning action" to the point that oxides are not efficiently removed.  Very careful surface prep and cleaning is required to use greater.   A frequency of 200hz is sufficient to push the arc to the tip of the tungsten and produce a nice columnar arc.  Frequencies above that have little benefit for manual GTAW.  All this to say, if you have a balance setting that reduces cleaning action, oxides may become a problem.   If your problem were oxides, the porosity indication on your RT report would likely be along the entire length of the weld.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-20-2018 01:55
Have you tried scraping your test plates on both side about a inch from the weld and on the ends also.

M.G.
- - By mwilliams93 (*) Date 06-05-2018 18:51
Good news! I was able to get the procedure weldment to pass all of its test!

Thanks for the help!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-05-2018 21:48
Well I think you owe us a little more "story" than that.

What was your largest pain sourse?

What did you do to fix it?

What steps did you take troubleshooting?

I wrote you a novel Bro....   Want to see if anything helped.

Don't take me wrong... Super glad you got through the PQR ordeal  :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D17.1 Aluminum Procedure Qualification