Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Backfill technique for crater cracks
- - By SaintsChamp517 Date 05-16-2018 00:55
Can anyone explain why the 3/32 Flux cored wire weld bead always has a tiny crack at the end of the bead even when using the backfill technique. My welds have to be wet mag inspected and there always seems to be a small hairline crack at the end of the bead. Happy Welding and Rock On!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-16-2018 10:11
Is the crater full? Typically these are shrinkage cracks, so make sure to fill the crater so that it is slightly convex.
Parent - - By SaintsChamp517 Date 05-16-2018 23:14
Yes the crater is slightly concave. I stopped doing the backfill technique because the weld pool just builds up uncontrollably and drips so now I pause and then dab the crater twice  while the weld pool is still molten. I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure it's something that I was told by a fellow welder. It's important that I get the shrinkage crack out after I finish Welding the tool because we use 4145 steel and it takes about an hour and a half to preheat the tool to 650 degrees. Thanks for the input. Any advice is appreciated- Happy Welding
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-17-2018 13:58
You already mentioned you reverse travel direction to completely fill the weld crater. That is usually good technique, but you might try reversing the travel direction and carry the weld back a little further.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-20-2018 02:00
Have you tried to take a small grinder and see if they will clean up sometimes that will work.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Backfill technique for crater cracks