Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding metallurgy
- - By Skip (*) Date 05-31-2003 16:13
Hi Folks:

Just wondering, how important or how much should an individual know on this topic.
Personally, I think with all the different ferrous and non ferrous materials available and the alloys of the same, one should have reference to this information.
Parent - - By dseman (*) Date 05-31-2003 17:18
If you are a weldor, here is an opportunity to put yourself ahead of the pack. I don't think you can ever know too much. If you are an engineer, then you NEED to know metallurgy. There are bunches of books, but here are 2 that I started with:

Welding Metallurgy Vol.1,2 by George Linnert. Pub. by AWS.

I have the third edition, but I'm sure there are newer editions available by now. I think I purchased mine in the mid 70s.

-dseman
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 05-31-2003 18:26
Skip:
Try these;
Metallurgy Fundamentals* (ISBN 0-87006-475-4) by Daniel A. Brandt
Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist** (ISBN 0-87170-652-0) by H. Chandler

Metallurgy Fundamentals is written in simple terms for simple guys like myself. I have learned lot's from this book and have owned this publication and utilized information from this book for many years.

A good point was made by dse in that if you are a welder, you will have a great advantage over your competition.
If your an inspector, much can be used in daily activities.
If your an engineer, more information on materials and their properties can be a big help.

Enjoy.

*Not an expensive publication, (it was a gift for having lot's of students passing the COLA examination back in 88/89) I don't know exact cost.
**About $160.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding metallurgy