Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Corner Welds, to bevel or not to bevel?
- - By mlk Date 05-18-2018 18:41
Hello everyone!

I am looking for the proper way to weld a 3/4" plate to 2" plate. This is a corner weld with the 3/4" plate set 1" from the edge of the 2" plate (in the middle of the thickness of the 2" plate) and the material will be subject to expanding and contracting. I am not sure if standard fillet is OK or if it needs to be beveled. Can anyone help? I am looking for suggestions that can be backed up by AWS standards.
Attachment: ConerWeld.jpg (30k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-18-2018 19:27
Do you have engineered drawings?  They should show you.  Especially since you say to AWS standards.

Which AWS Standards?  D1.1, D14.3? 

Even if we could see the drawing, we don't know what the stresses are on your parts.  But, with the joint sketch you attached, probably a fillet weld of 11/16" leg size. 

If there is doubt and this is for a customer but the plans don't specify, an RFI would be appropriate as we can't really make that call for your job.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By mlk Date 05-21-2018 18:53
To answer your questions:

We have drawings but no weld callouts.

AWS D1.1

I am looking to have maximum strength. My fear is, with fillets, I am not getting full penetration and where the gap is between the two thicknesses, expansion may occur and cause the weld to fail.  I can not find any supporting data for my theory.

In a perfect world, I am looking for creditable information that shows:

For a Corner Joint weld with 3/4" and 2" material, a 45 degree bevel is required on the inner edge of the 2" shown with a .25 root face.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-21-2018 20:17
You are over thinking it.  A bevel is not going to change anything in the strength of that joint.  Unless you added a bevel on the 'inside' portion of the corner along with the fillet weld on the outside. 

Now,having said that, that joint is not detailed in the best recognized fashion for strength.  Look at Clause 3, Figure 3.2 p 84 Detail C-U2a, p 85 Detail C-U2, p 87 Detail TC-U4a and keep going looking at the corner joints.  These have been proven to be better joints than the one your sketch displays. 

Fit up may take a bit longer but about the same amount of weld and a better finished product.

BB
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-25-2018 04:38
What is the design standard is invoked, AISC Steel Construction Manual, ASME Section I, etc.,  and what is the base metal specification and grade?

Generally, the weld, when the size is not specified, must develop the full strength, in both shear and tension, of the thinner base metal per AWS D1.1.

Based on the information provided, it is impossible to provide better direction.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Corner Welds, to bevel or not to bevel?